Super Mario All Stars: A Look Back and Re-Released on Wii


Back when I was still a Nintendo fan (sort of) while I only rented the SNES from stores, I would recall this experience called Super Mario All Stars which I now play on an emulator.  The game consists of Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 2, Super Mario The Lost Levels, Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World.  Which I can recall only 1-3 but not the Lost Levels.

So what the game basically did for the NES games was to enhance them with SNES graphics, have a minor retooling of the jump button and attack button for the SNES players.  And I was thinking that it was a nice recoloring and I was having fun playing enhanced versions of the NES games I used to play (except for Lost Levels).  Playing an enhanced version of Super Mario Bros. 1 and 2 was a nice thing.

For the remake, Super Mario Bros. 3 had minor changes aside from the obvious better graphics.  Since the story revolves around the seven kingdoms with transformed kings, some of them even used different transformations for the kings.  The NES version featured a dog, a spider a turtle, a dinosaur, a seal and a venus fly trap.  The SNES versions changed them into a cobrat, a hoopstar, a dino-rhino, Donkey Kong Jr., albatross, Monty Mole and a Yoshi without changing the overall story.  A nice remake but too bad the P-Wings cheat after beating the game doesn't exist, instead you go back to the title screen.

Fortunately Nintendo released this again for the Wii though I wish they will include more games in it from the N64.

Comments