The Wizard of Oz DIC Series

I remembered watching the 1939 Wizard of Oz film which the ending seemed to suggest that, "It was just a dream." scenario. Yet, I wonder why I still liked that movie as a child in spite of the whole implication that it was just a head-induced delirium. Then the 90s came where DiC produced a "sequel" where it doesn't look like it was just a dream. The Wicked Witch of the West gets resurrected in a new body (but she's still allergic to water) and the cast must return to defend Oz once more.

The show lasted for only 14 episodes. I could remember how there was the episode of the Clock Master or the Upside-Down Town. I remembered how it was aired repeatedly even after the 14th episode which made me wonder as a child saying, "Why aren't there any new episodes?" Then I realized one thing - it only had 14 episodes! The show itself ended with the hot air balloon contest where the Wicked Witch of the West was last seen flying off because it was raining. It's not even shown if she died or what. That was the final episode.

I guess the popularity of the show wasn't high enough to keep it up, huh?

Comments