The Ogre/True Ogre and Onaga/Kotal Kahn Similarities!

Knowing Ed Boon is a Tekken fan, it can be seen how Mortal Kombat developed throughout the years. Just think of how Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance entered into the 3D Plane like Tekken did. But the most blatant example of Ed Boon's favoritism for Tekken was in Mortal Kombat Deception with Onaga.


You might remember Onaga in Mortal Kombat Deception looked like... True Ogre. In Deception, Onaga had some moves similar to True Ogre like the flame breathe or both could fly. Ed Boon's favoritism of Tekken didn't really stop with the PS2... you might as well observe how Sonya Blade in Mortal Kombat (2011) looks more like Nina Williams. Or in Mortal Kombat vs. DC, notice how every character has a one button per limb attack system... which is taken from TEKKEN itself. When I was discussing with my friends, all they said was, "Woah he looks like True Ogre!"


So am I surprised with the creation of Kotal Kahn? Not really. But if you take a look at Kotal Kahn, his influence his very Meso-American, just like Ogre was found in Mexico. Kotal's people are known as the Osh-Tekk, a play on AZTEC. But unlike Ogre, Kotal Kahn has a human-level of intelligence and two, he wasn't always green skinned. But still, you can't deny Kotal Kahn looks like... Ogre. Hmmm... I am sensing something really funny. Call me crazy but I have my theory that Onaga after the battle of Armageddon was reborn as Kotal Kahn. Why was Kotal so after Shinnok's Amulet? I would suspect that Onaga himself was reborn as the character Kotal Kahn.

If you remembered Tekken 3, do you remember what happened after you defeated Ogre? The scene goes black... you have Ogre absorbing power from either Jin (if using Heihachi) or Heihachi (the default sub-boss) of the game to become True Ogre. I was thinking is Ed Boon really getting predictable when he made Kotal Kahn? Again, I am just speculating that Onaga was reborn as Kotal Kahn... I mean Onaga is a dragon and Kotal Kahn is an Osh-tekk but what if the Osh-tekk were dragons? What if Kotal Kahn remembered his past life and overthrew Mileena because he wanted his throne back? What if he heard that the Elder Gods destroyed his usurper in the past life? On boy... much theories from me isn't it?

Or another, Onaga and Kotal Kahn are just separate characters. What if Onaga by now is again a wandering spirit. I always thought of it that as soon as Mortal Kombat X is released for the last generation, you might really end up getting plans for the PS4/XBox One. My speculation is that Ed Boon may soon return Onaga in a way we never thought of. Maybe Kotal Kahn might reveal himself to be Onaga which I think would be really cool.

Comments