G.I.Joe The Movie: Why The Movie Just Doesn't Make Sense

I was a G.I.Joe fan as a child. I remembered watching everything G.I.Joe and enjoying it. The movie was also enjoyable for me as a child. But the more I think about looking at G.I.Joe The Movie, the more I think everything in this movie has a lot of inconsistencies. What inconsistencies am I talking about? Remember there are spoilers so don't read unless you want to be spoiled.

There's a lot of inconsistencies the films has. One could be the role of Cobra Commander and his supposed secret origins. The opening argument between Cobra Commander and his usurper Serpentor feels like an argument that could go what if Megatron and Galvatron weren't the same person. The whole opening also has Serpentor and Cobra Commander looking like they were the worst people to run Cobra. Seriously why didn't Destro just take over? He's a competent version of Starscream. Instead, the film shows us how the other members of Cobra either don't care, people forget that Serpentor is even more stupid than Cobra Commander or has Cobra Commander forgotten he's no superb steward of Cobra or that his "loyal subordinates" created his usurper? Later we see that Cobra Commander looks like he was demoted by Serpentor yet he remains the second-in-command. It's also funny (and confusing) how Cobra Commander drives a Cobra jeep without a Cobra sign all the while Dr. Mindbender is also riding it? Did everyone get demoted?


Now it's time to tackle on Cobra-La and Cobra Commander's backstory. Golobulus tells of the story of Cobra-La. Sure, it was a bit interesting to have Cobra-La before the rise of mankind but there's another inconsistency. Yes, it's all focused on Cobra Commander again. Cobra Commander is portrayed to be a nobleman of Cobra-La and was later appointed to form this mighty army to destroy the so-called human civilization. Golobulus whines again and again how the human civilization's ways are a travesty yet Cobra operates NOTHING like Cobra-La at all. Plus, isn't Cobra using inorganic matter which is also contradictory to Cobra-La?

I could also mention Serpentor's origin. How could creating Serpentor be beyond Dr. Mindbender's rather crazy brain? Dr. Mindbender is a nutjob so creating an emperor from DNA mish mash shouldn't be beyond his. Plus, why create Serpentor who was created from some of humanity's most evil leaders who are not Cobra-La's agents? Not to mention, Golobulus' favoritism of Serpentor doesn't make sense. Serpentor is even more stupid than Cobra Commander but I guess in cartoon villainy - stupidity has always been more entertaining.

The more I watch it the more I realize everything's been too forced. Serpentor who stands as the unchallenged usurper of Cobra Commander all of a sudden becomes Golobulus' most loyal servant. I even feel the whole relationship of Serpentor and Golobulus gets "elaborated" in Conan the Adventurer (also a Hasbro production) with Wrath-Amon and his serpent god Set. I feel like that moment was Serpentor's character decay. He was a lot more entertaining as a very stupid bossy leader than as Golobulus' lackey. 

I guess it does make sense to think how G.I.Joe decayed even after the movie. The DIC series came and it's not as good as Hasbro's season prior to Serpentor's creation. Serpentor's final hours wasn't even written as well as it should be. All that Cobra Commander did after he became a reptilian humanoid after the movie was to turn Serpentor into an iguana. I could still enjoy rewatching the G.I.Joe series and everything, maybe I could still enjoy the movie but I just think that the movie was full of inconsistencies one way or another. 

Comments