I Don't Care Much About Super Old School Kamen Rider

I was thinking about a series of my preferences between old school and new school. I want to enjoy the best of both though not all of the Toku classics get my attention. The same can be said about Kamen Rider. I may have started with Kamen Rider Black and Black RX -- but I just don't find myself enjoying most old school Kamen Riders. No, I won't blame the primitive special effects -- most of my favorite Super Sentai were still using stop motion for their mecha or lesser forms of CGI. I think it has to do with the plotline or writing. 

What old school Kamen Riders have I watched aside from Black and Black RX? I watched Amazon, Stronger, Super-1 and some episodes of the first Kamen Rider. I remembered just how I found myself watching them before I wanted to criticize them. I finished them and just didn't find them enjoyable. Doing some Google -- I found out that there's a five to six year hiatus between Super-1 and Kamen Rider Black. Wow, talk about hiatuses. Then I found out that Black RX (a show I still enjoy, maybe only to rub dirt on the failed Mashed Rider series) caused the hiatus of Kamen Rider for 11 years.

Just reading about the hiatuses between Showa Riders made me think that the "good old days" weren't always good old days. Retro Kamen Rider don't seem to be kind of shows I could enjoy. At first, I thought it was hard adjusting to the new format until I saw more of old school vs. new school. In the end, my preference ended up with the Heisei era instead. I can't really say because Heisei era has better special effects. I think it's because it's more of the sci-fi J-Drama writing style appeals to me better than the Showa era's writing style where heroes fought against villains with the stupid villain plot that gets foiled at the end of the day. Hmmm... yet why do I still enjoy Super Sentai villains hatching such plans?

Right now, the more I watch more of the new school Heisei era -- the more I think that old school Kamen Rider isn't my cup of tea. Yet I keep in my mind that I still get some degree of interest in them, that they are important stepping stones but I'm not all that interested in them.

Comments