Just Don't Feel Like Replaying Mortal Kombat Deception After Playing Mortal Kombat (2011)

There's no doubt that Mortal Kombat: Deception was praised back during the PS2 days. I can't forget how it had several good reviews -- it even had two awards that would have competed it against Tekken 5. While I still fee the urge to play Tekken 5 all over again even after the PS2 is officially dead -- I don't think the same can be true for MK Deception.

I could remember the fun I had with this game and the frustration. Every good game will always have a flaw. I thought the easy dodging 3D gameplay was one of its obvious weaknesses. Tekken 5 required you to press up twice to sidestep. In MK Deception -- all you need to do was press up and down while using the diagonal directions for jumping and ducking. Also, replacing Stage Fatalities with Death Traps can be fun and frustrating. I ended up turning off Death Traps because I wanted a longer fight -- all the while why can't I do stage fatalities now? Plus, the multiple fighting style can make it too complicated.

The whole experience changed when I ended up picking up Mortal Kombat (2011). It had a lot of innovative concepts while bringing back stuff I wanted. The return of the gameplay to the 2D area was really a step forward in quality. It had the whole one button per limb system similar to Tekken -- which was way better than the high and low default attacks from most of the titles. The return of stage fatalities made it even better. I really didn't like death traps in contrast to the stage fatalities which were now innovated. Perhaps the best innovative stage fatalities are how some of them don't involve an uppercut -- such as the Subway stage fatality, Hell stage fatality, the Street stage fatality or the long awaited Living Forest stage fatality.

In short, MK (2011) had made me think that I'm better off not replaying most previous MK games. In fact, I even think MK (2011) is MK Trilogy done right in many ways. Sure, I wanted Friendships over the now improvised Babalities, I wanted some stages to return (such as The Portal and Kombat Tomb), I thought about how I wanted this and that but I can't deny it's still probably the best MK game ever in many ways. MK Deception may no longer stand the test of time because of MK (2011).

Comments