Remembering Dragon Quest VIII For The PS2

Ah yes the good old days -- I could remember I wasn't exactly a fan of Dragon Quest. Dragon Quest VII for the PS1 wasn't exactly my cup of tea especially with that LOOOOOONG intro scene. Ouch! I really found it BORING. Dragon Quest VIII managed to nearly perfect the formula of turn-based gameplay. In what way? You just don't see narration. You get to see the characters do some of their badass moves.

What intrigued me was the graphics? The use of cell-shading made it look like a living Anime. Well, we've had 3D models and and I appreciate them. It's like a good mixture of old school and new school concepts that made the game memorable. You get the old school feel with new school mechanics and technology. The cell-shading art was really a stroke of genius.

So what got me me into this game than the previous installments? I thought that the game's turn-based gameplay (though it can get annoying if you've got MULTIPLE FOES at once) was really near perfect. The animation used in every turn made it more intriguing than just seeing damage stats and narratives per battle. I also enjoyed the whole Tension system -- where characters gain extra strength. Plus, there's the Hero turning into a "Super Saiyan" (if you've built up enough tension) considering that Akira Toriyama was involved.

The story is the journey of a cursed king. An evil jester known as Dhoulmagus gets the evil scepter containing the Lord of Darkness in it. The king and his daughter become a horse. What's mysterious is that the Hero hasn't been affected. There's a lot of deep storylines such as Hero and Yangus or that of Angelo and Jessica. There's the mission to prevent the Lord of Darkness from awakening. The rich history is really worth playing especially when you find out about this and that.

Considering this game is a masterpiece then it should be remastered for the PS4 and XBox One with trophies. This was among the few games that I finished without using a cheat device (and I frequently cheated during Resident Evil games back in the early 2000s because of how trigger happy I am). It would be nice to see people in the digital age challenge themselves to this masterpiece remastered with new elements. I've seen a Nintendo DS version though too bad I'm no fan of handheld games.

What are your memories of this game?

Comments