Mortal Kombat XL: A Great Enjoyable Game With Some Major Issues

A great game is a great game and I just bought a PS4 some time ago. At first, I wanted to get one because I keep hearing how Mortal Kombat X was awarded with this and that. That would definitely make one want to buy the game, right? The game itself was described to have good, solid gameplay better than its successful predecessor Mortal Kombat (2011). I admit, I do enjoy some of its newest factors such as the return of Brutalities in a new fashion way (though you had to UNLOCK them in the Krypt presumably for replay value) and Stage Interactions are much better than it was with Mortal Kombat 4/Gold -- or how Goro doesn't fight Shinnok twice in the Arcade Ladder which was an error in the PS1 and how Shinnok himself does have some badass value. 

I could rant all I want how I feel Story Mode isn't as good as the previous game. I could think of how the story pales in comparison to its previous installment four years ago. I thought of how meh it was to really WTF lock Shinnok up in the Amulet and give him so limited screen time! I mean, Shinnok is supposedly a darker and more sinister version of Loki. In Chinese mythology, he's supposed to be the fallen elder god known as Tong Tian Jiao Zhu -- a renegade student of Hong Jun Lao Zu (whose birthday is celebrated every ninth day of the ninth lunar month) who founded a mysterious cult that worships him. I felt like where's the justice for Shinnok? Ed Boon probably still hates Shinnok until this very day -- I mean he gave Shao Kahn the most badass death yet Shinnok is treated like dirt for most of it. Sigh -- better watch the Legend of the Eight Immortals (1998) where Tong Tian had more screen time though he was betrayed by his own right hand man -- a free roaming sorcerer known as Pan Go Lin. Pan Go Lin would have had more awesomeness than what they did to Quan Chi in Story Mode. So where's the treacherous backstabbing sorcerer's charm as a villain now? 

So what's my other issues? It's all about WTF why do I have to pay USD 10.00 a month (that'd be equivalent to PHP 540.00 or more for me) to play online when I hardly play online against other players? Seriously?! I didn't have to do that with MK (2011) whenever I played online against other people! I could afford to pay it myself but WTF -- SERIOUSLY?! It's like a fixer scam! Please don't make that it's not a child's game that's why we're milking out the cash from adult gamers. It's almost like as if Corporate Commander himself (a fictitious character voiced by Joe Vargas aka Angry Joe and seldom played by a stunt double) were real and infiltrated Netherrealm Studios. Not to mention that additional characters are all PAID. Yes, if you don't pre-order then you have to pay for Goro which just sucks. Sadly, Tekken 7 does have paid downloadable too which really makes me think that at least the legacy characters are free. Goro is a LEGACY character so why even pay for him? At least, Tekken 7 is NOT making the whole "press button to purchase character" so in your face as MKX huh? 

On the other hand -- there's still some enjoyable value. For instance, the addition of Survival and Endless Tower can be good though I wish they had Tekken's Ghost Mode instead. Endless Tower is fun though I think Tekken's Ghost Mode is better because your defeat will allow you to continue. Endless Tower ends when you are defeated -- which isn't really endless! There's also the new Challenge Tower and my favorite -- the Living Towers! These give you new challenges to play as. These are modes which I seriously think should be included in a MK (2011) remastery though I'd go for copying Tekken's Ghost Mode over how MKX did its Endless Tower. The Krypt's improvement is also fun especially with the scare and satisfaction factor -- after all, you get to kill monsters while you hunt for hidden treasure though I hate the whole money is harder to farm now than it used to be. 

Overall, it still deserves its award but it could have been better. Now only if people get for what they pay for and STOP paying for additional content. After all, they already bought the disk, right? 

Comments