My Early Thoughts On Mortal Kombat 11 Prior To Its Release


Well it looks like Ed Boon could be defeating Katsuhiro Harada again (and I hope Harada gets his notebook and writes things down to make up for the blunder that's Tekken 7) though it's too early to tell. So what's my current impressions? I'd like to give my early thoughts though I always like to lace some of my critical thinking with everything exciting. 

The story would take place some time after MKX. How long the time lapse was is currently unknown. All we know that Raiden has become a vengeful, bitter god and I just love to see how Shinnok is getting beaten. Talk about a millennia long grudge when Raiden finally gets the chance to bully his archenemy Shinnok. However, the final boss Kronika (probably the Elder Goddess of Time) says that Raiden has upset the balance of time and space itself. It's somewhat the concept of Yin and Yang and I guess Kronika won't be an outright evil boss. Rather, I feel like that she would be like Blaze -- a final boss whose only doing her job to make sure that the Universe doesn't fall apart from meddling. It's getting clearer that Raiden already went full retard to know what he's really doing is weakening all of reality itself!

I was looking at some of the leaked cinematic cutscenes and gameplay and I'm really, REALLY complaining about the bad way of drawings. Do you remember the Anime-ish drawing styles back in MK9 and MKX? Well, you can say goodbye to them because here -- you're going to get some really badly done drawings. A good example is how this version of Sonya Blade just looks really bad compared to how MKX drew her like an aging Brigitte Wilson-Sampras (though actress has sons though no mini-me to become Cassie Cage) but this is downright RIDICULOUS. Yeah, I know Sonya's old but they should have modeled her after an aging Sampras who still looks hot after all these years. Modeling her after Ronda Rousey is just too out of place IMHO. Then I think almost every character just looks really terrible compared to how MKX and MK9 did them. Seriously, what happened? Even ugly characters whose charm are in being ugly lost it!

Meanwhile, I think about the possible gameplay of configuring variations. I even heard that Ed Boon is actually taking a trick off Harada's sleeve -- the customization thing! I thought about how I wished MK9 and MKX had character customization aside from alternate costumes. I do find the gameplay to be looking pretty impressive with how it goes. So there's going to be brutalities and fatalities. Still, I feel like why can't we have Brutalities done like they were in Killer Instinct (2013) for a change? 

So what are your early thoughts on this upcoming game? 

Comments