Transformers Victory: Takara's Only Decent G1 Cartoon IMHO

Transformers Victory is for me the only decent Takara cartoon. Well, I guess you know I have a LOW OPINION on Transformers Season 3, down to Headmasters, and maybe down to Masterforce (which has to be the WORST of all Takara entries). But Transformers Victory? For me, it's my favorite Transformers entry by Takara though, as said, no show doesn't have its own problems.

The series is a fresh start IMHO without the nonsense of how "great" humanity can be (and yeah, I'm going like Radiguet here justifying his insanity). The show continues off with Masterforce and starts a new set of Autobots and Decepticons. Why Takara calls them Cybertons (isn't that supposed to be the name of their planet) and Destrons (okay, call Kamen Rider V3 to exterminate these guys) since Headmasters is something stupid IMHO. I didn't like the idea of renaming Prime as Convoy either.

The story may imagine Jan as the grandson of Spike and maybe Daniel's son - but the show doesn't make it explicit. So how the new set of Autobots and Decepticons enter the picture is unknown. There's no mention of the legendary emperor of destruction namely Megatron or even him as Galvatron. I thought there could have been more potential to revive Galvatron here if you ask me. Instead, they introduced the new Decepticon leader that replaced both Galvatron and Scorponok namely Deathsaurus. I wanted to imagine Deathsaurus as Starscream rebuilt but he's no Starscream. Instead, that role temporarily fell into Leozack who wasn't that stupid either.

The new Autobots and Decepticons are either cool or funny. The new Decepticons have the Breastforce (okay, start laughing) and the Dinosaur Taskforce (no, it's not Zyuranger). The Autobots have their Brainmasters, the Multiforce, and Micromasters (Rescue Force). In spite of the name Breastforce - I do like their attribute of having chest animals that serve as an ally. the Dinosaur Taskforce? They're just there for comedic reasons and I don't blame Deathsaurus for actually dumping them. I think I'd probably still dump them if I were Deathsaurus since they're far more useless. The Beastforce would later combine into Leokaiser who could only be countered by Victory Saber.

Speaking of Victory Saber -- I think it's really "good" that God Ginrai (who is NOT Optimus Prime as the stupid dub suggests) gets demoted to another status. Back then, I thought it was a bad thing until I found out Ginrai isn't Optimus Prime. That guy disgraces the one true great Optimus Prime. At least Hot Rod becoming Rodimus Prime had real character development. Rodimus had his doubts as to the new leader because he was in the shadow of the legend but came out as his own leader in Headmasters -- even if he ended up leaving his position to the more qualified Fortress Maximus. I find the whole upgrade to be fitting for a really bad character. At least, Ginrai as Victory Saber had more use than when he was as that Optimus Prime "bootleg" if you ask me.

For me, the show ran well for only 32 actual episodes (and 12 clip shows which includes post-episode clip shows) which might be understandable. Then the intended sequel Transformers Zone (which was a dumb OVA) never came through for a reason. I heard it was bad toy sales hence the project was never pushed through. I guess that caused the final end of Takara's involvement in the G1 franchise.

Comments