Capcom Should've Updated Marvel VS. Capcom 1 For The Sixth Generation Consoles After The Dreamcast Died

 

The death of the Sega Dreamcast (and fortunately I NEVER had one) sure changed Sega's direction. Some games that were Dreamcast exclusives ended up going into Sega's former rivals in the console market. One of those games was Marvel vs. Capcom 2 - the first arcade game I was able to "take-home" for the PS2. Though, Capcom was already getting douchy in many ways. Remember when the Dreamcast had the near-arcade perfect translation of the first Marvel vs. Capcom game? The PS1 owners had to settle for the cheap EX mode because the hardware couldn't handle it. The PS2 could handle true tag-team play. At first, I enjoyed MVC2 and just understood why Capcom didn't give individual character endings - TOO MANY CHARACTERS. Then I really remembered how I really missed MVC at the arcade where true tag team play was really giving excitement.

Time passed when the PS2 was dying and it was time to get a PS3. Yes, a PS3 and I played through Mortal Kombat (2011). One of the features added was Tag Team Mode. While Tekken Tag Tournament was fun but the idea of losing when you lost one character wasn't so welcome to me at first. MK (2011) or MK9 actually went as far as to make you defeat two opponents in order to win. Though, the downside of MK9's tag team mode was that matches were a little longer (since you had to still win TWO ROUNDS) than what Tekken Tag had to offer. I guess the rationale with Tekken Tag series' you lose one character then you lose is to avoid the matches from going on too long. That's what Netherrealm probably didn't anticipate when they created their tag team for MK9. Though, it was MK9 that made me realize Capcom was a douche for not giving an updated version of the famed first game that was rightfully called Marvel vs. Capcom

So, what made the first game more special? After playing MK9 - I could really say two vs. two was far more focused than three vs. three. MVC2's three vs. three could prolong the matches and the team Hyper Combos can be too flashy and cheesy. However, MVC having its two vs. two was more focused and it showed that it was quality over quantity. I could remember liking the depowered edition but WTF I want to play the arcade original AT HOME during the time we still had a PS2! I wanted to really have the thrill of tag-team play and switch between them. I also wanted to avenge my losses against Onslaught at the arcade with true tag-team mode back in my college days! 

I wonder what was Capcom's excuse not to give an updated version for the sixth generation consoles after the Dreamcast became just a dream? I mean, wouldn't fans of the series actually want to have the arcade classic in their home with true tag-team play? Sure, MVC2 is fun for the taking but it's only focused on hype. The previous entry had a lot more FOCUS and the unlockable endings added personality to them. The EX Edition allowing you to play as Onslaught was OVERLY CHEESY - something that the arcade didn't allow. Pretty much, I just wanted to have that original classic. Sadly, I wasn't able to get Marvel vs. Capcom Origins too when the PS3 arrived. I was already too mad at Capcom with how MVC3 turned out. 

Just another nostalgic rant!

Comments