I've Been Shipping Ryu X Sakura For Some Time



Canonically, Ryu doesn't seem to have a girlfriend or love interest. In the non-canon media, you may seldom end up having Guile without his wife and daughter (though in canon, Ken is his brother-in-law). In Street Fighter II V cartoon - Ken once had a romantic interest in Chun-Li in contrast to him being married to Eliza in the canon. Now, there's some Ryu x Chun-Li shipping out there but there's also the rather feels just wrong (that's unless Sakura turns 18) with Ryu x Sakura.

I was thinking about Sakura's introduction in Street Fighter Alpha 2 (SFA2). Her canon introduction had her having a crush on Ryu - something the latter may not be aware of. What can be seen in her ending in SFA2 is that she does have a crush on Ryu. The non-canon Pocket Fighter also seems to hint on that one in her ending. Then in SFIV series - her crush on Ryu is further developed. I'd assume that by the SFIV series - Sakura had become an adult so it's already A-OK for them to go dating. Though, doesn't Sakura still have school or college to think about?

I still myself in this rather strange ship of Ryu x Sakura. Originally, I was Ryu x Chun-Li only because I called a girl I once liked as "Chun-Li". I find it weird that I actually ship them even when I find shipping Takeru x Kotoha to be weird in Samurai Sentai Shinkenger. For me, I think the shipping could work though Capcom feels like it still wants to keep it just... A SHIP!


Comments