That Annoying Mortal Kombat Cartoon


I was thinking about something worth writing (or bashing) and it's this - the Mortal Kombat cartoon which was called Mortal Kombat: Defenders of the Realm. I think Nostalgia Critic should review and BASH this abomination. Back then, I just enjoyed the media such as the non-canon Mortal Kombat Conquest and as part of my innocence - why in the world did the arcades even permit children to play the game? I was around nine or ten when I held the game in the arcade. It took me some time to realize that NOT all video games are for adults. Not especially Mortal Kombat - which was aimed at ADULTS.

I remembered watching the cartoon which only lasted 13 episodes. My first exposure to it was in ABS-CBN back in the late 1990s. The cartoon was meant to be a pseudo-sequel to the 1995 movie (which actually influenced later games) which I'd say is no better than Mortal Kombat Annihilated in more than one way. The plot follows up after the defeat of Shang Tsung in the first game and new characters showed up. In some way, it was better than Mortal Kombat Annihilated but some plots just end up really messed up. 

I think it's just screwed up why in the world are toylines based on ADULT franchises even have toys for children? I remembered I secretly wanted a Liu Kang toy back then but THANKFULLY never had it. It was really so badly done. The cartoon had obviously no blood since it was aimed at CHILDREN - something that truly is stupid and why it deserved to FAIL. The 13 episodes gave various mythos, introduced some non-canon to the game characters, heck Quan Chi even made his first test drive here and NOT in the games (though, thankfully he did get into the games), and I still watched it back then. Why did I even waste Friday evenings watching it? I guess I was too much of a fan of the Mortal Kombat mythologies though the show is STALE as in S-T-A-L-E.

What did the Mortal Kombat (1995) movie have over this? I think the movie's PG-13 rating DID some justice. I think the presence of martial arts legends Robin Shou and Cary Hiroyuki Tagawa were truly welcome. Heck, think that Tagawa himself even reprised his role as Shang Tsung in the short-lived Mortal Kombat Legacy series and in Mortal Kombat 11. Shang Tsung's catchphrase is used in the intro of Mortal Kombat (2011) along with an appearance resembling Kabai Singh in The Phantom played by the same actor. The PG-13 movie had a SOLID PLOT and GOOD FIGHT SCENES which made up for the lack of blood. The cartoon fight scenes are obviously LOW BUDGET.

The final episode was totally what I'd call not even worth the watch. I wanted to see how it ended and that's it? A lot of cartoons tend to last that short like WTF with only 13 episodes such as how Galtar and Golden Lance never had us see Galtar beat Tormac or how The Wizard of Oz just ended as is as a cartoon. Heck, Mighty Orbots only had 13 episodes! Though, like Conan and the Young Warriors - it simply was a total fluke. It really ended up in a development hell and it deserved to be. I guess too many parents complained their children played games not for them. Maybe, diehard fans of the franchise just blah blah blahed over how bad the game is. 

Overall, this is another piece of garbage BETTER FORGOTTEN. Throw it alongside some of the worst moments of the franchise such as Mortal Kombat Mythologies and Mortal Kombat Special Forces. This is total garbage! 

Comments