It'd Be Better If "My Little Mermaid" (2023) Was Entirely Retold As An African Story

Okay, I'm not too happy at racist comments made against My Little Mermaid (2023). However, I have a feeling that casting a black woman as Ariel here while Prince Eric is STILL WHITE might just be forced diversification. I also feel having a black mermaid here and a white human might be nearly an SJW message. I feel like if Disney truly wants to try out a black Ariel - why not move the whole plot to AFRICA? Sounds funny but that's what I think should've been done.

I could remember when HBO created Happily Ever After. Many stories were reimagined outside their country's setting. The episode "The Emperor's New Clothes" relocated the setting to Japan. Heck, even the Aladdin episode was retold as Chinese when it's an ARABIAN story. Yeah, I know an earlier version of Aladdin happened in China but later versions moved it to Arabia where it should be. We had A Little Mermaid moved to CHINA. The episode "Beauty and the Beast" even relocated Belle to AFRICA and Beast was a TRIBAL PRINCE. It was a very good reimagining that wasn't even a movie.

Just imagine if Disney doesn't only make Ariel a black woman but also Eric. Just imagine if A Little Mermaid were finally relocated to Africa. Think of what if Eric was now an African tribal prince and acted by a BLACK ACTOR. It would be a nice reimagination of Eric was a tribal prince. Have a majority of black actors. It would truly be a better opportunity for African-Americans to shine IF the movie was set in Africa.

Instead, I feel it's just forced diversification. Maybe, call it diversification for the sake of it. I think it'd give a better share for the African-American community IF the whole movie was moved to Africa. Instead, I wonder why Eric was still kept as a WHITE. The African version of Beauty and the Beast in Happily Ever After knew how to create a black beauty and a black beast. So why not a black Ariel and a black Eric too? 

Comments