Alan Lee Almost Sounds Like A Younger Cary Hiroyuki-Tagawa

Mortal Kombat 1 just got released. I'm not surprised that some people are now leaking out their first playthrough. Meanwhile, I'm acting carefree about the issue because I feel there would be more microtransactions or that a PS5 is a BOTTOM PRIORITY. I just want to replay Mortal Kombat (2011) because it's practically the Bloody Grail of the franchise. I listened to Shang Tsung's voice on the clips and I thought Alan Lee was Cary Hiroyuki Tagawa. However, Tagawa is 72 years old and the voice sounded younger. Man, I'm amazed that Lee himself did a VERY GOOD Tagawa impression!

I remembered MK (2011) and it turns out that Ed Boon wanted Tagawa to be Shang Tsung's voice. It's too obvious as Shang Tsung's intro in the reboot is, "YOUR SOUL IS MINE!" There were not-so-subtle nods to the movie. Just think how Kano looks like the late Trevor Goddard. Sonya Blade looks like Brigitte Wilson-Sampras. Johnny Cage looks like Lindey Ashby. 

It's too obvious that Shang Tsung's design in MK (2011) was really based on Kabai Singh from The Phantom. The catchphrase was put into the introduction. The only thing missing was Tagawa himself. Andrew Kishino did a good job at voicing Shang Tsung. I was glad that Kishino didn't attempt to imitate Tagawa but did his own Shang Tsung. Still, I wish that Tagawa's face was used in MK (2011) instead of making him look like Ian Anthony Dale.

Anyway, I admit Lee's voice amazed me. For a second, I thought it was Tagawa until I realized it wasn't Tagawa!

Comments