Speculation: Motaro In MK1 Is Based On Older, Removed Plans For MK9


Right now, I have no intention to get a PlayStation 5 or Mortal Kombat 1. I guess life will get busier and busier, right? However, I'm going to speculate again based on how NetherRealm Studios decided to give Motaro a bigger role after how they treated him in Mortal Kombat (2011) - the franchise's reincarnation after Mortal Kombat Armageddon. I'm simply going to speculate why I think Motaro in MK1 is actually based on some removed plans.

Doing Motion Kapture has never been easy. If one played MK (2011)'s story mode then notice some features. One could notice how Motaro was given some cutscenes. You can see Motaro making a few cameos but hardly involved. I would say they finally got Motaro integrated because of scenes like he's at the arena with the other bad guys, he bows down to Shao Kahn, he fights with Johnny Cage, and he gets KILLED BY RAIDEN. Motaro was finally written off and I really didn't care. In fact, I was more than happy not to fight that MOFO in MK (2011). I believe that Motaro was purposely excluded to balance the game. I think NetherRealm Studios planned to include Motaro BUT decided that he'd be too difficult. Hopefully, any remake of MK (2011) will keep Motaro in the garbage bin.

MK1 gives Motaro the role of a Kameo Fighter a la Special Assist from Marvel vs. Capcom: Clash of Super Heroes. MK (2011) took the tag-team mechanic from the Marvel vs. Capcom series and blatantly took the Partner Assist from Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter. Once again, Motaro is The Unfought but he's given a role. Motaro can provide assistance like reflecting projectiles, grabbing the opponent, or firing those annoying three fireballs. Fortunately, the Kameo Fighter has some recovery limits like how MK (2011) made partner assists drain one level of the Super Meter. 

Kameo Fighters even have that fatality. Was Motaro's fatality actually based on a draft that was discarded some time ago? Shang Tsung's bloodier version of the Joker Fatality in MK (2011) can have people divided. For some, it was like NetherRealm's apology for Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe for having undergone the Teen rating. For me, fatality was too simplistic. I believe NetherRealm Studios had actually planned Shang Tsung to morph into Motaro as a DLC fatality or a primary fatality. I think Shang Tsung's first fatality was supposed to have him morph into Motaro and do the Kameo Fatality from MK1. Instead, the plan was removed altogether in favor of his morph into Joker for a reason. 

I do have mixed feelings about it. I still think Shang Tsung doing Motaro's fatality in MK (2011) would've been cool. That fatality would probably be overshadowed by Shang Tsung reviving Kintaro within the opponent. Extra note, I think Shang Tsung's Mortal Kombat 11 Kintaro reborn fatality was probably intended for MK (2011) too. Instead, Motaro was probably not in the best interest of NetherRealm at that time. I may hate Motaro but I'd still prefer Shang Tsung turning into that MOFO than the clown fatality he was given instead. XP 


Comments