Mortal Kombat: Defenders Of The Realm Is One Incredibly Misaligned Cartoon Series
I remember Friday evenings on ABS-CBN shifted with new shows. There was also that atrocious Street Fighter American cartoon. This one is a HUGE MISALIGNMENT when the toning down went from PG-13 (which was the case of the first Mortal Kombat film) to TV-Y7-FV. Yes, talk about the Insult to Injury. Thankfully, the cartoon only lasted 13 episodes, unlike Conan the Adventurer -- a show I was obsessed with UNTIL I saw Conan the Barbarian.
The show is a pseudo-sequel of sorts of the 1995 Mortal Kombat movie. It was all before that also AWFUL Mortal Kombat Annihilation movie came out in 1997. At least Mortal Kombat Annihilation still the PG-13 filter. Here? Everyone becomes a Saturday Morning Cartoon character. Everyone turns into a generic action hero. I still can't get over how badly EVERYONE was done whether it's my favorite Liu Kang or my other favorites like Jax, Sonya Blade, Kuai Liang, Jax, Nightwolf, Kitana, and back then, Stryker was still viewed as bland.
The show featured Shao Kahn's attack on Earthrealm. There were some episodes that featured interesting plots but they went nowhere. One episode had Rain as Kitana's former boyfriend -- only for it to go nowhere. The show had OG characters like Ruby (probably a stand-in for Jade) or Komodai (a stand-in for Reptile who was killed in the first film) to fill up the screen.
The final episode was even hanging. Did Threshold Entertainment plan a season two? Thankfully, that NEVER came out. TBH, I even thought that if I were to do a fatality, I'd make my stunned opponent watch the show first that they'd really end their lives cringing over it.
.png)
Comments
Post a Comment