Looking Into Street Fighter Alpha 3's Writing Hiccups

Street Fighter Alpha 3 -- like it, hate it, love it, or just be neutral. I thought about how the Arcade version often got flak because you were only GIVEN ONE CHANCE to defeat the unplayable Final Bison (or Bison II as I called him) and that's it. I mean, WTF Capcom. Sure, I found the X-Ism, A-Ism, and V-Ism interesting ways to play the character. However, there's some SERIOUS writing hiccups that contradicted Street Fighter II such as...

Sagat was supposed to be a bad guy in Street Fighter II and the Alpha series' events takes place BEFORE that game


Street Fighter II came out with the established lore that Bison created the Four Heavenly Kings are Balrog, Vega, Sagat, and Bison. However, Street Fighter Alpha 3 created a huge continuity headache with Sagat. Sure, I can FORGIVE Street Fighter II V where Sagat was a framed Muay Thai champion who got disgraced by Ashura's frame-up. Street Fighter II V was meant to operate OUTSIDE the game canon. 

However, the game canon had established Sagat to be one of the four Shadaloo bosses when the first Street Fighter II game came out. Sagat was that honorable anti-villain compared to Balrog (who was money-hungry) and Vega (who was vain). Sagat was still part of the quartet where he was the feared second-to-the-last boss. After all, he was the FINAL BOSS of the first Street Fighter tortuous game that I never heard about!

Street Fighter Alpha 3's Sagat had him back out of Shadaloo during that game. It's just crazy how that writing hiccup was even processed! There was even no explanation that Bison could brainwash Sagat every now and then. 

Cammy's revelation as a Bison clone seems like it was born out of sniffing drugs

Cammy first showed up in Street Fighter II Turbo. Her ending had this gross suggestion that Bison was her... LOVER? Yes, that plot was used in the overly-hated American Street Fighter cartoon during the second season. I thought it was utterly revolting to see Cammy being drugged into becoming Bison's plaything. However, I heard the actual Japanese text was differnet and yeah, localization problems! 


This creates another continuity problem from Street Fighter Alpha 3. Cammy's revelation that she was a Bison clone ALL ALONG (and even carried over in Ultra Street Fighter II) is one massive dumb retcon! I found the revelation to be all too convoluted in one way or another. How did the writers even skip the Bison ending where he lied to Cammy, "We were in love!" and then introduce her as a female clone of Bison? I still find the whole revelation like it was born in a meth lab!

______

I guess these are the consequences of a floating timeline. A revolving door of writers often becomes uncontrollable. Sure, I've had my own fair share of bad writing myself. It's still way more inconceivable when these errors are done by PROFESSIONALS. 

Comments