Yoshi's Island: The Super Mario World Prequel That Can Get Super Grating Because...

I remember back in the day when I was mad without an SNES. Right now, I'm thinking about trying to play Yoshi's Island on my own terms. It had better graphics, but there's one thing I can say about this game. The game replaced the Stage Timer (where you lose a life if it reaches zero) with that SUPER ANNOYING Baby Mario must be rescued. The Yoshi of the stage gets hit (there are several colored Yoshis) and you get a timer that counts from 10 to 0. You need to rescue Baby Mario in time before Kamek the Magikooper's henchmen capture him. Of course, this game takes place when Bowser was still a baby, too. So Yoshi's age is somewhat unknown.

I would like to say that Super Mario World is way better. Super Mario World had the mechanic where getting hit while riding Yoshi (or his other Yoshis such as Blue, Yellow, and Red, which are hidden in the Star Road areas) -- the specific Yoshi runs away, but there's NO TIMER. You have the choice to recover the Yoshi OR just move forward. There wasn't much pressure, given that Yoshi tends to respawn from certain spots where a "?" box contains a Yoshi egg. Yoshi gets dropped, you needed to sacrifice him for a jump (and he has LOONEY TUNES durability), it didn't put on much pressure.

It was fun to have Yoshi's Island boss fights feel more strategic. Super Mario World usually relied on hopping most bosses three times, though others varied. The boss fights in Yoshi's Island usually involved egging them. That aspect would've been GREAT if it wasn't for the Baby Mario timer. 

As I thought about it, Yoshi's Island should've been a game BUILT AROUND YOSHI without Mario. My take was that Mario and Luigi should've been captives. I'd prefer the main titular Yoshi to go on an adventure to recover the Mario twins from captivity instead of an infant Mario relay race. So yeah, Nintendo gave a beautiful-looking product but it's ultimately stressful. 

As said, better play Super Mario World all over again! 

Comments