WTF: Did You Just Have A Mighty Morphine Overdose?

The Power Rangers movie changed history in a bad way - it became what could be the strongest knockout pill ever known to man. I could call it Mighty Morphine because it knocked me out because of boredom. I guess other people too felt the same. It's time to talk about how Haim Saban's return to the franchise has ruined a beloved icon for all these years with the Mighty Morphin' hype. Should I mention how annoying it is to keep rehashing the theme song "Go Go Power Rangers"?!

There's one thing you think about business is that you can't always stick with the same formula to keep a show alive. There's always the risk in everything but sticking to an old formula is way riskier. Something new may not always work immediately but trying something new is always part of moving forward. It's like how you add new gimmicks to keep a product alive and know when to end it. But that doesn't seem to be the case of Power Rangers with Neo-Saban: there's the tendency to over-recyle Mighty Morphin' as if it still works.

Don't believe me about the Mighty Morphin' hype? You could take a look at how Neo-Saban is crashing down with the Krusty Krab mindset. I even read Amit Braumik's blog on the original Power Rangers Samurai proposal but Mighty Morphin' hype got rid of it. Power Rangers Megaforce is the biggest MEGA DISASTER ever. I watched for eye candy but what's so funny is that I couldn't even finish it even for really dumb reasons. Power Rangers Ninja Steel is again working with teens with attitude with Victor and Monty as Bulk and Skull.

Worse, there's even the Power Rangers (2017) movie which is the epitome of morphine overdose. I tried to watch it but it's so mind-numbing. The first half is dedicated to stupid sob stories. The movie has very weak pacing. I should even mention how I kept fast-forwarding it and nothing helps. The Megazord fight was not even worth the wait. Battle Fever J's first giant robot battle was way better and it was so last 1979. That's why and thankfully the chances of a sequel are most likely zero. I don't even want to think of knocking myself out a second time. 

Besides, times have changed and the 90s are not this decade. What worked with the 90s may no longer necessarily work in this day and age. I may prefer mostly old school Super Sentai but it's only out of personal appeal even if could still enjoy a lot of new school. In fact, I prefer new school Kamen Rider most of the time over the Showa era Kamen Riders. The new target market may hardly care about the past target market. Maybe, only a few will care about the 80s to 90s Super Sentai. I even find myself hardly caring about seeing the Showa era Kamen Riders though I'll watch them whenever I feel like it. It's all about the newer target audience and the Neo-Saban era has failed to see that reality that it's no longer the 90s. 

This is also causing some longtime Power Rangers fans who used to enjoy both their beloved show and Super Sentai to walk away. For me, I wouldn't say it's because Super Sentai came first or it's from Japan. Rather, it's all about how often the Power Rangers franchise just keeps shooting itself at the foot and the Mighty Morphin' hype is just one of them. On the other hand, Super Sentai tends to keep things fresh for most of the time even when there's some theme repetition. Kyoryuger may be the third dinosaur Super Sentai, the second dancing Super Sentai but you didn't need to watch everything before it to enjoy it. The latest Super Sentai series Kyuranger is trying to be something different to keep a long running series alive. 

It may only be a matter of time before Power Rangers dies from a morphine overdose. Think about that. 

Comments