All The Tommy Hype Made Me Dislike Power Rangers


Well it's Jason David Frank's birthday, isn't it? I admit, over the years I've had good reasons to actually dislike Power Rangers. Mighty Morphin' overextended, the whole Dear John Letter in Zeo is just stupid (and personally, I can't comprehend the idea of Zeo being better than Ohranger), the Zordon seasons, the Disney rush seasons and Nickelodeon's two season split for ONE freaking season. Perhaps one person that I really still don't like Power Rangers is the Tommy hype. Sure, he was my favorite in Mighty Morphin' as a child -- though I ended up really seeing how much of an overrated prick JDF is and how much Tommy is just an overused character. Nope, he's not even half or quarter the legend that Hiroshi Miyauchi is.

So what's with the Tommy hype? Is one's only reason for Power Rangers Zeo being "better" than Choriki Sentai Ohranger grounded on Tommy? I really found Zeo to be a mess and couldn't comprehend why some people choose it over Ohranger (which in its own way got tangled with two major disasters). Also, should we even think of him as the only reason why Power Rangers Dino Thunder is better than Bakuryu Sentai Abaranger? One reason why I didn't care at all about Dino Thunder is because of again -- TOMMY! Just because Dino Thunder is a dinosaur season doesn't mean it should have Tommy or directly link itself to Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers.

What made me even cuss at Power Rangers Megafarce's "legendary finale"? Tommy! What made me even think of better off not watching the 25th anniversary episode? Once again, Tommy! People can always say why do I care about Hiroshi Miyauchi playing different roles and curse Tommy? It doesn't take a genius to find that out. Does Miyauchi play the same role OVER AND OVER again to the point it's obscure? Is Kamen Rider V3 the same person as Zubat, Aoranger and Big One? No! Is Commander Masaki the same person as Chief Counselor Miura? No! It's quite different with how Tommy is handled. It's Tommy as green, Tommy as white, Tommy as red and Tommy as black. I really still feel WTF. Miyauchi plays different roles and does them well and NEVER steals the spotlight. JDF? Well he's just a spotlight stealer in some way. 

Besides, it's almost like Hercule in Dragon Ball Z. Do you remember when Cell himself was beaten by Gohan yet Hercule took all the credit? It's somewhat similar to JDF. He tends to hog the glory for himself. Tommy ends up getting praised as the "greatest ranger" when that guy is really just one huge overused prick. As said, he gives me a good reason to further defend why I dislike the Power Rangers franchise!

Comments