How Reboot Liu Kang Re-Cemented My Status As A Liu Kang Fan

It's no secret that Liu Kang is indeed my favorite Mortal Kombat character. I nearly left Mortal Kombat because of Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance -- remember that moment that when Shang Tsung and Quan Chi finally put him down? I even wanted to think that Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks was a rewrite of MK2 -- which may even give Shang Tsung more justification to do what he did if Liu Kang did break the former's neck in the second tournament before Shao Kahn ended up reviving his dead servants for the third game, right? Mortal Kombat Deception did bring Liu Kang back but sadly -- the whole zombie Liu Kang is a lifeless storyline compared to what the reboot did.

So how does the reboot Liu Kang appeal to me more? The original Liu Kang was more of a Gary Stu. The new Liu Kang has character flaws that I could relate to especially the moment when he started having a breakdown because of Raiden going full retard. He saw people care about die one by one. He even refused to fight any longer because Raiden's actions were going nowhere. He shows that he can be pretty impulsive yet he can also fight with honor. There's really more dimensions in the reboot Liu Kang than the original!

So what I could relate to Liu Kang more was this -- him finally turning against Raiden. I don't think I'd do anything different if I were him. Raiden left everyone defenseless and everyone (except Johnny Cage and Sonya Blade) were murdered by a fully resurrected (and zombified) Sindel. It's heartbreaking to watch how it happened. Raiden was even so stupid to go to the Netherrealm to ask for help from Quan Chi which is just WTF stupid. I don't blame Liu Kang for even wanting to attack Raiden and him going berserk. In fact, Liu Kang's dying words were simply, "You have killed us all!"

I thought that him becoming Revenant Liu Kang is way better than Zombie Liu Kang. Zombie Liu Kang was just one half of him walking around with no moral compass whatsoever. However, this version of Liu Kang is really what I'd call Mortal Kombat's version of Evil Ryu. He seems to be leading the Revenants whenever Quan Chi isn't around to lead them -- most especially in the final chapters of the game. He still retains a bit of his personality and memories especially when he still harbors a grudge for Raiden. Personally, I wish the Revenant costumes were made the default costumes in Mortal Kombat X for all characters who were turned Revenants -- just like human Liu Kang's costume was his secondary outfit in MK Deception and Armageddon. Besides, he and Kitana would later take over the Netherrealm and I guess they'd probably be torturing Shinnok (who is all but a head) now that Quan Chi is gone.

I wonder what role will he (or his other time selves) will play in the upcoming Mortal Kombat 11 game? 

Comments