Unpopular Opinion: Mortal Kombat II Is Overrated


There's no doubt that I'm a nostalgic gamer, I do tend to miss some old games but other old games are no longer worth revisiting. Okay, this is just an opinion so if you still pick this game then CHILL. However, I always feel my desire to rant my opinions, especially with some old school games. It's no secret that I no longer play all old school Mortal Kombat games before reboot - maybe except only Shaolin Monks which is an adventure spinoff. So pretty much let's begin in talking about what I think is probably one of the most overrated Mortal Kombat games ever. If you Google "MK Games Ranked" you may find Mortal Kombat II has a special place in the heart of the fans. I remembered how the 90s had MKII having more regard than MK3. The popularity of the game no doubt influenced later installments such as Shaolin Monks and need I say the longest portion in Mortal Kombat 9's story mode is devoted to the Outworld tournament?

It's true that it's a step-up from the first game. Just think - Street Fighter II is what launched Street Fighter instead of the first, forgotten game. Mortal Kombat II defined Mortal Kombat instead of the first entry of the series! The MK3 series really was notorious for hard-to-pull off combos and a lack of balance. What's innovation without mistakes to learn from, right? To say that MKII is more balanced for me is LAUGHABLE. The CPU is pretty much broken especially the arcade version. I decided to replay the bonus content from Shaolin Monks and I rage quit! After playing MK9 - the more I rage quit while replaying the game. The CPU just encourages you to try and cheat it than win by skill. MK9 relies more on skill than spam if you ask me.

Let's take a look at the MK2 gameplay for human players. More balanced? Shang Tsung's morph into any character from MKII to MK3 makes the human player gameplay REALLY unbalanced. That's why I'm glad Shang Tsung's morph has been either limited (such as what they did to him starting MK vs. DC) or totally removed in many more entries! I could also talk about Kitana and Baraka too are very cheap. I remembered how I really shouted hard whenever a human opponent frequently used Kitana's fan lift and Baraka's blade chop against me EVERY TIME I did a jump attack. Worse, the CPU is even too smart! I could also think of how Liu Kang's bicycle kick was overly damaging. How's that for balanced? Not to mention, I think Netherrealm was just right in NOT using the high and low attack scheme with the reboot in favor of the one-button per limb attack scheme similar to Tekken. 

But what I don't want to deny is that MKII still has a place for the fandom. If it wasn't for MKII then the franchise couldn't move forward. Yet, I just have to admit that sometimes some second entries in classic game series do get overrated.Yet, I don't find myself playing it - not ever since MK9 game in and became a really good game that almost everything behind it is behind it! 

Comments