Why I Don't Play Classic Mortal Kombat Games Anymore From MK1 Up To MK VS. DC


Classic Mortal Kombat is something I'd say I can do without. Sure, Mortal Kombat (2011) is already about to enter the old school cabinet by 2021 -- I'd still say it'd be a classic that would probably make everyone forget about Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 or even Mortal Kombat II which is considered a fan favorite. Then I remembered how I wished Playstation Network would release Mortal Kombat Trilogy though it didn't. Then I thought that the more I play MK (2011) or MK9 -- the more the classic games just fade out even while I wished that many of the classic elements were included in the innovation. It's like I wish that stuff like certain classic fatalities (such as Kano's skeleton rip and Shang Tsung's soul steal), that Brutalities were added like Killer Instinct's Ultra Combos (that is a combo ender with a specific button combination than a string of combos), and that we've had Friendships. But there's no perfect game, right?

So what makes me dislike the classic Mortal Kombat games? These batches have the classic ones (the first three games), Mortal Kombat 4 era (MK4/Gold), and the 3D Mortal Kombat era which happened during the sixth-generation consoles such as the Playstation 2, X-Box, and Gamecube. This would be a complicated post so bear with me.

Why I no longer like the first three Mortal Kombat games

Is it me or does MK9 really play a part in this bias? MK9 is so good and so loved it's practically the new Ultimate MK3 or MK Trilogy in many ways. MK Trilogy is what I'd call a game that's infamously imbalanced that a good question to ask is if you're willing to play it in this day and age. My answer is definitely a no and the same goes for most games.

I remembered the whole simplistic approach is in fact, overly simplistic and a lack of balance. The use of high and low attacks makes almost every character way too easy to master. Sure, combos were introduced during the MK3 line of games (MK3 up to MK Trilogy) but those combos are so hard to do. Then you're encountered with balancing issues especially Shang Tsung morphs into any playable character. That gets worse during MK Trilogy (except for the Nintendo 64) because he can also morph into the bosses which can be a real nightmare during two-player matches.

Maybe, I should talk about how frustrating trying to figure out the game's intelligence is. Whether it's regular fighters or the boss characters -- just expect to get frustrated. Trying to throw someone has a 99.9% chance in you getting thrown instead which is WTF. Jump attack? Anti-air and an uppercut! You beat the characters then guess what -- the bosses suffer from the SNK Boss Syndrome. Goro? Five punches and you are dead! Kintaro? He's an even more difficult version of Goro! Motaro? Don't even start talking because I really hate this dude that I'm glad he's not even a boss in MK9! Shao Kahn? And you thought M. Bison and Heihachi were that cruel!

Then I could talk about again and again about how I hate the old finishing move system. While MK9 still requires that wobbly combination -- at least it's more generous with the time given! Here, the time limit is so SHORT that you get frustrated if you can't pull off a finishing move. Remember how Scorpion's flame breath is really that hard to execute? Remember how many fatalities have Up in their input? At least MK9 gives you a fatality trainer and generous use of the block button. Here, it's just plain Netherrealm to do them!

Why I also don't play the 3D-era Mortal Kombat games

I could go ahead and bitch all I want because I'm a Liu Kang fanboy and I tend to dislike how Scorpion gets overrated. I do like Scorpion as a character due to his unique status as an anti-villain turned anti-hero -- I'm just more into Liu Kang! MK Deadly Alliance (MKDA) nearly made me drop the series because Liu Kang got killed. Shaolin Monks as a possible retcon does somehow explain why Shang Tsung broke Liu Kang's neck in MKDA's opening.

So what do I not like about the 3D-era games? Mortal Kombat is not Tekken. Tekken, Virtua FIghter, and Dead or Alive can work 3D better because they aren't projectile-based gameplay. Mortal Kombat's gameplay is projectile-based. The whole 3D era which started with MK4/Gold (which had poor dodging mechanics) started making projectiles (which defined the game) near useless. The dodging just made it easy to dodge these moves. Also, the 3D era's lack of focus was another. Sidestepping tends to prolong the match longer than it was. Sure, stuff like Shang Tsung's morphing getting removed is a good thing (for better balance) but the rest can be weird.

The idea of multiple fighting styles sounds cool on paper. However, it just doesn't translate well into actual gameplay. I just realized that after playing MK9's well-focused gameplay. You go from one style to another during gameplay -- it does get confusing. Also, Mortal Kombat X (MKX) does it better with the variation system -- you select one variation then learn to master it. The multiple fighting styles in the 3D era remove the fun. Tekken didn't do that and was more well-focused and accessible.

I could talk about the useless characters of the 3D era. Oh boy, don't even get me started on Hsu Hao who is the suckiest MK villain ever. I could also talk about Moloch in MKDA who is, in fact, a living nightmare that makes you use cheap tactics. At least, Onaga himself was a little more of a fair fight though his lore is just not well-explored enough. Like, why didn't MK11 make Onaga the villain instead of Kronika? Kronika just feels too random to me. Also, Shujinko makes a bad protagonist -- how could Ed Boon even call him a next-generation Liu Kang if that guy is so old?

MK vs. DC is probably the suckiest installment. It has good ideas and I give it that, I can accept the less bloody fatalities but I guess I was too much of a Marvel guy back before I dropped Marvel too. I think the problems of MK vs. DC also had the problem of the overly easy sidestepping which also plagued Tekken 4. At least, Tekken 5's sidestepping isn't that easy or that difficult. MK vs. DC also had too many fight mechanics it just got way too complicated. The only good thing was that it removed the multiple fighting styles per character. Other than that, I don't feel much loss not even buying the game and it can go away into obscurity for all I care.


MK9 isn't perfect but it's definitely way better than the previous installments

Sometimes, a game's so good that it overshadows its predecessors and its sequels will have a hard time beating it. Sure, I enjoy playing MKX and the recent MK11 but nothing compares to the fun of the MK9 days with nostalgic factors (for me that is) while introducing new school elements -- such as making its own version of Street Fighter's super meter. The game itself has its flaws but it has more balanced gameplay one way or another. The return to the 2D fighting plane is a much welcome change too.

MK9 does nearly perfect everything such as the addition of Tag Team Play as a better version of two vs. two matches, the better combo system, using one button per limb similar to the Tekken series, toning down overly powered characters from MK Trilogy (such as Rain and Noob are no longer spam machines), and if bosses are meant to be crazy then it's only fair they're not playable. A good example is how it's only fair Goro, Kintaro, and Shao Kahn are unplayable if they are super-powered -- while you balanced the odds with easier controls and more arsenal to win. Though I did still wish we had a depowered version of Goro, Kintaro, and Shao Kahn as playable characters for nostalgic reasons. But that's just a minor concern.

For me, this game will always overshadow its previous installments. Sure, classic gaming can be fun but some of them will eventually age so bad they're better off not re-released at all!

Comments

  1. I like your all post. You have done really good work. Thank you for the information you provide, it helped me a lot. I hope to have many more entries or so from you.
    Very interesting blog.
    Mortal Kombat Crack

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment