The Stupid Reason I Watched Scooby-Doo: Daphne Blake

I guess we've all had our crazy cartoon crushes as children, right? Talk about how Nobuo Akagi in Hikonin Sentai Akibaranger is so moe for Aoi-Tan (who's voiced by Hiroyo Hakase) except you were a child. I would like to do a bit of stupid recollection of that stupid crush I've had on the otherwise non-existent Daphne Blake. Yup, if it wasn't just that dumb crush I had on Kimberly Hart in Mighty Morphin' - it was also my dumb crush on Daphne Blake.

Granted, my first exposure to the Scooby-Doo franchise was the Scooby and Scrappy-Doo Show and some direct-to-video animated films - not Scooby-Doo Where Are You?. One of those direct to video films was Scooby-Doo and the Ghoul School. Most of the time, I was too focused on the trio of Scooby, Scrappy, and Shaggy getting into crazy misadventures than them unmasking villains disguising as monsters. I didn't even realize Scrappy was unpopular hence the term The Scrappy on TV Tropes. Then I started seeing episodes of the Scooby and Scrappy-Doo Show where Mystery Inc. was involved. There came that cartoon crush - Daphne!


One episode in Scooby and Scrappy-Doo show that stole my innocence was the episode "Twenty Thousand Screams Under the Sea". So really, was it okay for Daphne to show much skin in a children's show? She gets that much-unwanted attention and she's one reason why I secretly desired a white bride. Even modern versions tend to carry on that gag and her getting unwanted attention. It does have Fred (depending on the incarnation) getting jealous and seldom (more often than not) - they're actually a couple. It's even hinted in the crossover with Johnny Bravo that he's got feelings for her. The whole crossover had Johnny wanting Daphne yet it also seems Velma is interested in the former. Cartoon Network seems to ship Johnny and Velma in some way - which I think can also work even when I ship Johnny X Daphne otherwise. 

I can't deny that I ended up watching Scooby-Doo Where Are You? because of again, that crush on her. Later on, I was actually a fan of her return in The New Scooby and Scrappy-Doo Show which she became highlighted in the absence of Daphne and Fred. I kind of liked the new focus where Daphne was getting her focus because I've got that idiotic crush on her. 

Well, she did get live incarnations where both Sarah Michelle Gellar and Kate Melton played as her in two different movies. I felt the first live incarnation did her justice while Kate didn't IMHO. Okay, this is just me being shallow considering I still keep bashing how Emma Watson was not "hot enough" to be Belle in Beauty and the Beast until today. 

Here's just me recollecting dumb times during the 90s!

Comments