An Unfair Hatred For Scrappy Doo?


Sometimes, there's a lot of misplaced hatred. It's one thing to dislike Top Cat for his idiotic antics (though I can enjoy them from time to time at a different angle). It's another thing that Scrappy-Doo does get some unfair hatred. I'm afraid that the gag has gone too far even to make him the villain of that infamous Scooby Doo movie which I'll always hate. If they don't like Scrappy then just don't include him in any reboot or mention him at all. 

Even one episode of Scooby Doo Mystery Inc. made a BAD REFERENCE. I felt like Daphne Blake deserved a better man to hug her. Fred Jones said, "We promised not to mention him again." Did something bad happen to him? I felt that the whole scene was a bad joke. TBH I feel sorry for Daphne still thinking about it. We don't know what happened to Scrappy but I felt it was a bad joke. I could still embrace Daphne. I wished I was her man there! 

What's interesting information from Looper is this on the top 15 popular characters with Scrappy AT THE BOTTOM:

While everyone loves to hate Scrappy-Doo, believe it or not, the character was originally created to save "Scooby-Doo" from cancellation after a serious drop in ratings in the late '70s. Without Scrappy and his "puppy power," Scooby and the gang might not even be around today. "Scooby-Doo" was rebranded at the end of the decade as "Scooby-Doo and Scrappy-Doo" and the motor-mouthed puppy replaced "Scooby" icons Fred, Velma, and Daphne for a good chunk of the '80s. Slowly, the rest of the gang returned, but Scrappy remained all the way through the 1988 television film "Scooby-Doo and the Reluctant Werewolf," which saw Shaggy turned into, you guessed it, a werewolf. Scrappy wouldn't appear as a hero ever again — although he showed up at the end of the live-action 2002 film where it's revealed that he's actually the villain.

Scrappy gets a bit of a bad rap, though — although he's pretty obnoxious at times, he has a real fondness for his dear old uncle Scooby. His bravery and courage are unmatched when compared to Shaggy and Scoob, as he never backs down from a fight (often against real monsters). Scrappy gets passing references every once in a while, including a meme-fueled moment in 2011's "Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated," but he's mostly been absent from the franchise since the gang officially got back together.

I think the hatred for Scrappy is so uncalled for. This is where the term "The Scrappy" happens. I remembered my first exposure to Scooby Doo was the Scooby and Scrappy Doo show. Instead of solving mysteries most of the time - the episodes had the trio (Scooby, Scrappy, and Shaggy) all face various misadventures. Others also had Scooby Dum who's probably even more unpopular and more of the Scrappy than Scrappy himself.

I wonder if the character truly deserves all the hate? IMHO, I think it's more of the writers of later episodes that caused it. For one, I still enjoyed the Scooby Doo cartoons with Scrappy. I hated how the movie turned Scrappy into a villain just because he's unpopular. The movie could've just pretended that he never existed. I felt that there are worse characters than Scrappy such as Flim-Flam (Thirteen Ghosts of Scooby Doo) and Scooby Dum doesn't do anything either.

I feel that while the character indeed is hated - I think it's more about bad writing. I think that the character still is part of my childhood. I don't think I can consider him an Old Shame, unlike the Top Cat series (and a list can go on which includes The Flintstones). I still wish Hanna-Barbera today could do something about the character if they can or just pretend he never existed if they can't. 

Comments