Not Surprised: Disney's Planned Power Rangers Reboot Is DEAD

 

TBH, I'm not surprised by the road Power Rangers keeps taking. Honestly, I remember writing a post where I addressed the issue, "Is Power Rangers going to die any time soon?" Signs were really showing like how Power Rangers Samurai in 2011 tried to return back to the Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers hype when Haim Saban temporarily bought back the rights. So yeah, consider how Toei simply laughed their way to the bank because a PAYCHECK IS A PAYCHECK. Saban was actually better with Marvel than Toei, if you ask me! Now, the recent news that the proposed Disney reboot for Power Rangers is DEAD hasn't surprised me one bit. It was really GETTING OVERLY PREDICTABLE!

If I'm not wrong, the plan was to create a Power Rangers series with ZERO Japanese fight footage. Yes, the series has been more dependent on the Japanese fight footage. However, I blame the incredible lack of progress such the Nickelodeon scheduling is just plain SH*TTY. The whole series went from bad to worse such as how Power Rangers Megaforce was simply trying to become the "Second coming of Mighty Morphin" instead of a real celebration. I could also say that Power Rangers Ninja Steel actually made the already lackluster Shuriken Sentai Ninninger look like a masterpiece. Heck, not gonna lie but Power Rangers Dino Fury having Lord Zedd return is proof of staying in the past. \

Screen Rant gives these details, which made me think, "Why am I not surprised? Disappointed but not surprised!" This really might be a LESSON in staying in the past:

According to Deadline, the series will not be moving past the development stage, with this decision reportedly being due to business and budgetary reasons rather than creative ones. A live-action superhero show living up to the expectations of the Power Rangers franchise was always going to be a substantial investment and was further complicated by Hasbro owning the rights to the brand as opposed to the streamer, Disney, that would be making it.

Hasbro has been trying to make a new live-action Power Rangers a reality for several years now. Before this collaboration with Disney fell through, there were plans to make one with Netflix, with Daisy Jones and the Six's Jenny Klein as the showrunner working alongside Jonathan Entwistle. With attempts at Netflix and now Disney not working out, it is unclear where the franchise may go to finally get its next live-action show off the ground.

While Disney+ has expanded on the IPs the company already owns, including Star Wars and Marvel Cinematic Universe shows, an effort has been made for the streamer to also develop content from elsewhere. Disney+'s in-development Ella Enchanted and Casper in-development series are part of this initiative, as was Power Rangers before its cancellation.

Even though Power Rangers isn't moving forward, Steinberg and Shotz are still working on Percy Jackson and the Olympians season 3, which will make its Disney+ debut on November 20. Season 1 was a massive, record-breaking streaming hit, and season 2 received a perfect 100% score from critics on Rotten Tomatoes. Steinberg and Shotz are also developing other projects for Disney as part of their overall deal with them.

I feel Disney, as much as I also FREAKING got mad at their meddling, caused Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite to have a bad Marvel roster and may have thought it's NOT worth the cost. After all, how can remember the controversial Power Rangers clearance sale? Super Sentai managed to somehow retire after its true 50th birthday and have a grand exhibition of the 50 years history.

Sure, there's still that ACTIVE FANDOM of sorts. However, how long will that active fandom last? I used to be a Power Rangers fan; I became a Toku snob, and then I went with, "If I don't like it, don't watch it." However, I just couldn't resist doing a business audit on what I believe are bad moves done by PROFESSIONALS that further ruined Power Rangers

Comments