Power Rangers Wild Force: From Initially Badly Received To Vindicated?

2022 has some milestones. It would be the milestone for 10 years of Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters (a series not initially well-received) and 20 years of Ninpuu Sentai Hurricanger. It would also be 20 years of Power Rangers Wild Force - a series that wasn't initially well-received but was vindicated for some reason. What's not initially well-received may end up having a following. It's like how some movies didn't do well at the box office but ended up getting some love. I may not like Power Rangers now (due to the Disney era and still, the new era is even worse with Nickelodeon) but there are some things I feel go well with this series.

Just reading this from TV Tropes made me think of how this show was vindicated:

Vindicated by History: Much like Turbo previously, this season has become steadily more popular as the years go on (helped by Linkara saying how he thought it was a good season), especially since we now have four whole other seasons that fans like to bash on. Said seasons being: Power Rangers Operation Overdrive, Power Rangers Samurai, Power Rangers Megaforce and Power Rangers Ninja Steel.

Vindicating Cole's characterization 

I could understand the disdain of SOME fans towards the character of Cole Evans. It doesn't help that Ricardo "Rick" Medina Jr. was a douche. Though separating the art from the artist (such as trying to remember that Shunsuke Takasugi isn't Kazuya Oki from Kamen Rider Super-1 - a show I dislike) is necessary. Right now though, I'm also feeling bad that Austin St. John (Jason Lawrence Geiger) ended up involved in a wire scam (which I want to pretend is headed by Shunsuke). Rewatching Wild Force made me think of Cole's interesting storyline.

Cole's story is anything but lighthearted. I felt Hyajakuu Sentai Gaoranger didn't give Kakeru Shishi enough personality (but good acting made up for it). Cole, theoretically, is cooler than Kakeru IMHO especially with his display of strength. Cole's jungle boy story fits rather well. Quite interestingly, five years later, we had a jungle boy red ranger with Jan Kandou who was a little more similar to that of Kamen Rider Amazon's Daisuke Yamamoto). Coincidence? Both Cole and Jan lost their parents to the main villain. Both Cole and Jan are rookie red rangers. Though, Jan had more layers of development as he has a harder time adjusting to the city. Cole seems to fit in just fine - I think they wasted a perfectly good plot!

Want a real good-looking mess? Troy Burrows from Power Rangers Megaforce counts as one. I don't think I hate the actor - it's more of the script that ruined him. I still think Andrew Gray could be a funny guy, I kinda like using him as a meme guy (especially in relation to Android Girls). Though, the character was NEVER given any real backstory to work with whatsoever. Megaforce is so bad it practically vindicated Cole. Cole's more than a pretty boy - he's got development. So yeah, I think he's still a cool character even after I ended up disliking Power Rangers.

The Wild Force and Time Force crossover episodes


There wasn't any Gaoranger vs. Timeranger crossover at all, right? I think Wild Force actually did something right by bringing a crossover with Power Rangers Time Force. The two episodes were for me, really a decent attempt without the legal use of Japanese fight footage. Instead, we have the American stunt team doing the more dangerous stuff while the cast did the action scenes that were within their capabilities. I think it was pretty raw power.

Maybe, I still feel Ransik's redemption was too sudden or the character suffered decay. Ransik went from a genuine threat to becoming a joke. It's pretty much like how Garoa from Chikyu Sentai Fiveman went from gneuine threat to becoming a joke. The plot where Nadira develops a crush on Lucas is weird or what? Though, Nadira did get some development. I felt that Time Force had some plots that Judd Lynn wanted but never got. IF I'm not wrong, Eric Myers was supposed to die like his Mirai Sentai Timeranger counterpart. Maybe, Nadira was supposed to die as a result of Ransik's actions. Instead, Ransik surrendered and ended up even helping the people beat the Mut-Orgs. Random? I can't say but I think much effort was put into this.

I heard the three Org brother costumes were to be used. However, they were lost in a fire. I felt the recycling and creating of new costumes was one thing. I think it's a good thing whenever Power Rangers tries to create its own exclusive characters. The crossover was two episodes of raw American footage. Though, I think it needed a Megazord battle but it's not much of an issue. The two episodes showed how good the cast can get. 

The villain plots are potentially better than Gaoranger IMHO

I enjoyed watching Gaoranger but I felt that for all the good it has - there are some things I felt Wild Force did better. I could keep ranting on an don how Gaoranger vs. Super Sentai is better than the "Forever Red" episode. But I think Viktor Adler's descent into madness from a jealous human into an Org showed how wicked humanity can become. 

I think one of the best plots is how Adler slowly became the Master Org. Adler's jealousy of Cole's is one thing. Another is how this guy is THAT SCARY. I think the Second Master Org's journey from a human to Org is that scary. Adler doesn't even want to be called his name. All the Second Master Org wants is to fulfill the duty of his predecessor in the past. It gets scarier especially when he decides to challenge Cole to a death duel. That episode had an ick factor when the others were bathed in some corrosive slime. The Second Master Org would truly also give the Gaorangers a hard time before they'd defeat him.

One of the weakest points is when the Second Master Org was temporarily defeated. I think Mandilok deserves some bashing. Yup, Mandilok is quite a lame villain though he did once manipulate Kite (actually Animus) into a good scheme. However, Mandilok got too focused on his hunger. I think it was satisfying to see the Second Master Org arrange for his return. It just broke my heart when Jindrax finally admitted how truly evil the Second Master Org was. It was a good thing Jindrax and Toxica reformed to tell the tale.

I feel he's probably going to remain one of the best Power Rangers villains. I think some of the other best OG villains are Trakeena (who I believe is Power Rangers' version of Queen Ahames), Ransik, and Lothor. I feel the Second Master Org defeated them in the evil department. Trakeena didn't get so evil until she absorbed Deviot into herself. Ransik still cared for Nadira. Lothor, though evil, was kind of hammy. 

_____

Just my wacky thoughts! 

Comments