X-Men Evolution is a series that I enjoyed. I enjoyed the creative direction that didn't care too much about the comics and in some twisted way, had a better narrative than X-Men: The Animated Series. I thought about how X-Men Evolution ended. Mystique was disowned by both her biological son Nightcrawler and her adopted daughter Rogue. However, we still see Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch just easily get along with their dad, Magneto?
I had a thought that both Magneto and Mystique are EQUALLY TOXIC PARENTS in X-Men Evolution. We need to face the fact that Mystique and Magneto were probably the worst. IMHO, we could've added Sabretooth as Nightcrawler's father in X-Men Evolution too. I thought that Magneto was a Social Darwinist, while Mystique started off as well, true to her name, as a manipulative woman whose shapeshifting powers suited her. Mystique was once the second-in-command of the Brotherhood of Mutants in this continuity. However, neither Magneto nor Mystique were intended to work together in the comic books.
Neither Magneto nor Mystique were positive parents. Mystique tried to intimidate Rogue (her foster daughter) by pretending to be the X-Men. Magneto? Well, it's revealed that Magneto wasn't such a cooperative father when he had the Scarlet Witch handed over to a mental institution. No family visits whatsoever. Quicksilver's situation with Magneto might be a toxic dynamic where the former is just there for convenience. Honestly? Quicksilver may ot even feel any paterna affection for Magneto at all in X-Men Evolution -- despite lacking the backstory that Pietro and Wanda got adopted by the Maximoffs befrore the Disney sh*tty retcon.
Magneto even hired Mastermind to rewrite Wanda's memories with false ones. At first, Quicksilver accepted it because it stabilized his sister. However, Magneto still proved to be a terribly absent father to Quicksilver. In fact, I even remember when Quicksilver tried to snap the Scarlet Witch out of her false memories created by the Mastermind.
With that, I felt Mystique wasn't the only one who deserved to be disowned by Nightcrawler. I felt Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch should've disowned Magneto as well because he was a TOXIC PARENT. I'd actually have the twins join the X-Men instead, where they can redeem themselves slowly but surel away from Magneto's shadow.


Comments
Post a Comment