My Thoughts On "The Batman Adventures Issue 23: Toxic Shock"

The Matt Signal
There were some rare non-canon comic series based on some animated adaptations of comics. X-Men had one and it was independent of the mainline Marvel (which sucks now). Another 1990s classic, Batman: The Animated Series had a comics spin-off. I was able to buy one of the comics where Poison Ivy controlled Robin. Again, I always felt like the kisses should be for Batman. Poison Ivy may be a villain but she's an anti-villain. I think Poison Ivy and Catwoman are both anti-heroines who are probably stuck in a bizarre love triangle. Batman marries Poison Ivy and risks getting scratched by Catwoman. Batman marries Catwoman and he's probably going to get poisoned by a jealous woman. This comic book issue "Toxic Shock" has Batman recruiting Poison Ivy (and has a weird ending) which the latter seeks the plant that caused trouble.

Poison Ivy is in Arkham and Batman needs her help. Was it half-brained or what? Granted, Batman has had an on/off alliance with Catwoman (and I wish the writers made Poison Ivy jealous of that) so why not try it with Poison Ivy? I kinda laughed when Poison Ivy said, "If that's your way of proposing." I really felt Poison Ivy wants to marry Batman. In fact, I really would've probably written an arc devoted to them both getting married and even conceiving a daughter together. Yeah, Poison Ivy might have her condition but I'd try to write through that. Maybe, have Batman and Poison Ivy find a way to neutralize her toxins, get Poison Ivy pregnant, and make her and Batman one happy family with a daughter I'll name Ivy Isley Wayne. 

Poison Ivy shows her redemptive side even if she's a villain. A non-canon character named Diego Rivera was poisoned by a rare plant. Batman needs Poison Ivy's help which she agrees. I think Batman probably wants to redeem Poison Ivy though she seems to reject it and then accept it. I guess Poison Ivy as her husband on her terms - something she won't get. Catwoman does too, right? A crook named Molinos was behind it. Poison Ivy ran off with the formula but Batman manages to get a sample. Poison Ivy later goes to the valley to get that sample. Hence, the caption "THE END?" was there.

For me, I personally think that it'd be interesting if Poison Ivy actually kissed Batman again in this issue. I think it'd be more interesting if the comic series had Poison Ivy confess her feelings for Batman at the end. Batman then politely declines her. Maybe, have Poison Ivy get vindictive (again) like Catwoman does. Though, I'm always more open to a Batman x Poison Ivy coupling no matter how cracky it is. 

Comments