A Catwoman-Poison Ivy-Batman Love Triangle?

I admit that I'm no longer into comics for the reason that there's so many reboots, retcons, and the stories don't seem to end. Just think about The Twelve storyline in X-Men for one. Though, I think watching some cartoons here and there back then was another. One of my fondest memories was Batman: The Animated Series which the second season's art JUST SUCKED. WTF Warner Bros.? Anyway, there are some shipping battles to which Batman may be Archie while Catwoman is Betty and Poison Ivy is Veronica. Though, I'm an Archie x Betty shipper but I'm a Batman x Poison Ivy shipper. Batma can be put in a real rock and hard place situation as Catwoman and Poison Ivy are considered as Batman's awkward love interests.

The 1966 Batman show starring the late Adam West had Catwoman as an on/off interest for Batman. Catwoman (Julie Newmarr, later Eartha Kitt for some reason) does seductive gestures on Batman either to gain advantage or because she's got a contradictory crush on him. The plot isn't so used in other adaptations. However, it was used again in Batman: The Animated Series (BTAS) to which Catwoman has kissed Batman a few times. Then, a third wheel appeared in the form of Poison Ivy. The comics also had Poison Ivy kiss Batman and she's got an on/off crush on him. I think that's why any attempt to marry Batman with Catwoman ends up down or is only a what-if scenario. Poison Ivy does have her own set of love interests too but they seem to be just there because of Batman rejecting her.

The episode "Pretty Poison" did introduce it when Poison Ivy dated Harvey Dent (later Two-Face) with the intent to poison him. However, Poison Ivy developed an attraction to Batman which can be seen a few times. Poison Ivy kissed Batman and offered the antidote. In "Eternal Youth", Poison Ivy seems to offer Batman a chance to be hers. In some versions, Batman actually got offered to marry Poison Ivy to which he turns down and gets into trouble for it. I think Poison Ivy's obsessive crush on Batman is because of his strong will to oppose her. Though, Poison Ivy also seems to have the desire to get rid of Batman to either free herself of a contradicting emotion OR because if she can't have him then nobody can, right? 

Meanwhile, Batman seems unable to resist Catwoman in a few instances. Catwoman's strong personality is probably what turns Batman on. Catwoman hardly shows any skin, unlike Poison Ivy. However, Batman is attracted to Catwoman (at times) and vice-versa. It seems DC wants to establish them as a couple more often than not. I think Batman's established on-off relationship with Catwoman is a running gag for fans. I think Catwoman is his bigger weakness since she's practically a better fighter than Poison Ivy. I guess Catwoman hitting Batman is a big turn-on for him. Just think if a woman gets attracted to a man for hitting her. 

In my mind, I think adaptations could've made an established love triangle. I think Poison Ivy in BTAS should've given more "Must have Batman!" moments. I think Catwoman helping Batman out of the electric chair in "Almost Got 'Im" was an establishing moment with Batman. I think the villains should point out Poison Ivy's crush on Batman. Maybe, have Poison Ivy say, "If I can't have you Batman then neither can Catwoman." Maybe, have Poison Ivy and Catwoman fight over Batman just like Toad and Mastermind fought over the Scarlet Witch to no success in the early X-Men comics. Either way, I kind of want to explore this angle of the two women Batman's stuck in a rock and a hard place in. 

Comments

  1. I love this! I also noticed the slight rivalry between the character's stories. Ivy and Catwoman are both good matches for Batman, I feel, but I wish they'd played up Ivy's attraction to Batman a bit more in the Animated Series. She had a lot of moments were she could've teased him or tried to seduce him by admitting her feelings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Quicksilver

      If I would admit, I do view the love triangle to be somewhat funny. Granted, I don't really follow comics too much because of ho wlong they are. Still, I felt that Catwoman and Poison Ivy are potentially Betty and Veronica while Batman is Archie.

      I confess that I'm a Batman x Poison Ivy shipper. I kinda wish Poison ivy were played less villainous as well, making her obsessed with Batman and admitting she does like him. Maybe, have an episode where Catwoman and Poison Ivy. In my own mind, Poison Ivy wins.

      I kind of wish that "House and Garden" had Batman and Poison Ivy MARRIED. That would be very cracky if Batman married Poison Ivy for real.

      Delete

Post a Comment