Just My Crazy Rant: When Power Rangers' Eye Candy Becomes Beautifully Pointless

I remembered writing a bit of an entry where I talked about Power Rangers girls that I find prettier than their Super Sentai counterparts. I just want to write a bit of a joke post (sort of). I was watching Beast Morphers and for me, I can't consider it terrible. If I could think of RPM right now though, I'd dare say that I might watch the rather overly idiotic Go-Onger for the reason that the latter actually had more character development space. RPM just feels pretty rushed like some of Toei's rushed projects such as Kamen Rider Amazon. Now, I'd like to do a bit of a crazy rant for the sake of it about Power Rangers eye candy becoming beautifully pointless!


I'd be lying to say that I don't find Zoey prettier than her counterpart Yoko in Go-Busters or even Asuna in Ryusoulger. I even think she's taken the crown from Kimberly right now as being prettier than any Super Sentai or Power Rangers chick. Right now, I'm getting somewhat critical with Ryusoulger because I've had too much hype from Kyuranger and Lupinranger vs. Patranger. No, it's gotta nothing to do with Hammy, Umika, and Tsukasa looking prettier than Asuna for me and I don't find them that hot - which for me is a GOOD thing because I could easier assess the plot! Heck, I actually watched Go-Busters for the plot and Yoko's not being attractive to me was not an obstacle. I mean, I could watch Changeman and Flashman even I find the girls in those two shows just plain-looking! Maskman, well I admit, that I tend to watch it because of Momoko and not for the plot!

I would need to admit it though that I decided to check Beast Morphers out and what goes on? I would say that Hasbro is doing a better job than the Krusty Krab errr Saban. Though, I tend to think that Ben and Betty should've been comedic scientists instead of just getting thrown into comic situations that usually help the rangers without the intent. I would say Ben and Betty are still way more tolerable than the usual comic relief characters. My main complaint about Beast Morphers isn't the show itself - it's the really LOUSY SCHEDULING by Nickelodeon. Like shouldn't next year be the time to actually finish the show? Summer break, season splitting? It's a load of nonsense to why Nickelodeon has been doing that since 2011 and now it's 2019. Talk about the missed opportunities because of that! Worse, it could make longtime fans become more estranged than they already are!

I was just thinking about a bit of positive to negative. Just because I dislike Power Rangers doesn't mean I can't say anything positive about it. I think that Zoey has a warmer personality than Yoko. Maybe, my main complaint about Go-Busters (a show that I like) is the characters tend to be very stiff themselves. I also had that similar complaint to one of my favorite seasons Timeranger. I think Zoey's more lively and welcome approach with her pretty face makes me like her better than Yoko. But still, she's turned beautifully pointless due to the bad scheduling and not because of her as a character.


Megaforce is literally one hot mess of a show and it's that beautifully pointless. You have an attractive cast but the plot just goes nowhere. You may notice how I dropped both Ciara Hanna and Christina Masterson like hot potatoes, right? It can't be denied that this show is one hot mess. I really think about how this show will always be remembered as the worst anniversary season of Power Rangers! I don't blame fans who started walking out just because of this show. Like, how often has it Power Rangers had a really bad anniversary season? Operation Overdrive would suddenly look passable and even watchable than Megaforce ever will be.

I was even thinking (and criticizing) the way Troy seldom gets to become just eye candy. One can consider Andrew Gray is hardly robotic in real life so why force him to be robotic? In Megaforce, he's just a beautiful, lifeless sculpture or an attractive, emotionless robot. Just looking at his "crying" scene makes me think he was probably crying over how awful the show is. Also, it didn't do any well to try and make Emma the supposedly "new Kimberly" because well DUH it failed miserably. It may have the eye candy for audiences of both genders but it sadly and miserably failed. It tried to be Mighty Morphin 2.0 which gave it what I'd call a Mighty Morphine Overdose. Besides, it was just signaling more awfulness to arrive because which Ninja Steel would end up making the lackluster Ninninger look like a masterpiece. Takaharu is nowhere near as stupid as Victor and Monty plus he develops more than those two. Also, Ninninger is not subjected to that idiotic summer break and season split. 

Besides, what I can say is that Power Rangers fans actually bashing this season is no surprise. I don't get surprised if a bad season of Super Sentai gets bashed. I think Megaforce has to be the biggest plotless mess ever. The people behind it tried to use the attractiveness of Troy, Gia, and Emma to make up for it but failed miserably. I think Troy going shirtless was nothing more than failed fanservice. No amount of male fanservice can save a show. No amount of pretty girls can save a bad show either.

If you want a show that's got a lot of eye candy and plot then you might as well watch Samurai Sentai Shinkenger for both genders. Men can have Mako and Kotoha. Women can have Takeru and Ryunosuke. Though I wouldn't dare put Shinkenger that high on the pedestal these days - not especially with shows having less eye candy but better plot are present. Timeranger's Yuuri is just plain over Mako but I'd still watch Timeranger over Shinkenger.


I could also think about Dino Charge. It's no secret that I'm actually no fan of Kyoryuger and Dino Charge. Heck, I still think about how Abaranger had better storytelling IMHO. So, if you like Kyoryuger than Abaranger then chill - that was just my opinion! I would really think about how I think Dino Charge's less energetic cast of characters was a more welcome approach. I still think Daigo Kiryu to be a weakness in Kyoryuger. I think Dino Charge had potential but failed to impress me in the long run because of Nickelodeon's bad scheduling.

So what reasons did Dino Charge fail to impress me? It was because of the idiotic season split. I was really hoping Nickelodeon would something about their REALLY. STUPID. SCHEDULING. but they didn't. Worse, plot progression started to go downhill as well. I'd probably still pick the overactive Kyoryuger over Dino Charge if I had been left with just two choices. Otherwise, I'm just going to watching something older or newer other than those two. Sure, they've got great out-of-suit scenes but as said there's usually something better than Super Sentai and Power Rangers.


It just reminds me of why I watched Mighty Morphin' as a kid and why I can't watch it back even for nostalgic reasons as an adult. It's like why a long list of Hanna-Barbera old-school cartoons is just pretty much no longer on my watchlist. I could remember how I was often wowed at Kimberly being that attractive as a child. It didn't help that Baywatch was the next show after that which had a pre-cosmetic Pamela Anderson distracting the audience. Years later, I found out about Zyuranger and found Mei to be just passable. So both actresses Amy Jo Johnson-Giner and Reiko Chiba did meet eventually and I'm just neutral about that. I don't care if the Power Rangers actors are having a good time with Super Sentai actors. I don't want to throw assumptions like a certain group.

I would admit that I still find Kimberly hotter than Mei. But why would I still watch Zyuranger over Mighty Morphin'? I wouldn't dare call Zyuranger solid gold. Heck, I deserve to be chastised for watching Zyuranger while comparing it to Mighty Morphin' because of the different plots. Though I would agree that Mighty Morphin' ended up as what I'd dare call a plotless mess. Kimberly may be prettier and sexier than Mei. I think comparing the two is unfair since Mei is a warrior princess and Kimberly is still learning the ropes. I'd probably go for the reason that Zyuranger actually ended as it should've while Mighty Morphin' got overextended thanks to Toei's and Saban's "the Greeed" hitting them.

After the overextension, Kimberly wasn't getting anywhere. I really think about how many times she's gone from someone who could fight on her own to shouting "TOMMY!" I really can't imagine that happening to Mako in Shinkenger! Worse, she was getting weaker and weaker. She seems to be there just to be there. As I said, it would've been better if Mighty Morphin' just ended as planned because the characterization was going nowhere.

Plus, I really don't find the whole Dear John letter as realistic as some would claim it to be. It was most likely written out to spite the character for leaving the set. I still find it illogical to watch Zeo over Ohranger. I've seen both and personally, I think Ohranger as flawed as it is, gave it proper closure towards everything. It may have been a mess with the merchandise overload (presumably due to low ratings) but I can really still take the finale for what it is. The final conclusion of Ohranger really shows how messy Zeo can be. So I wonder why are some people still defending the mess that's called Zeo to be better than Ohranger? Hmmm... I'd rather be watching Zyuranger, Dairanger, Kakuranger, and Ohranger any time!


Though I'd also like to close things up especially with my changes of opinion with any series or franchise now and then. I would dare say that Super Sentai did have a time when its eye candy became beautifully pointless too!

Ninninger only seems watchable because Ninja Steel just sucks or it's only because the girls are hotter. Ninninger on its own is really a weak series for me, especially with the writing and progression. I ended up watching it (eventually) but find its writing to be that weak. Kento Shimoyama just really sucks with Super Sentai though I think he did most of Kamen Rider Zi-O quite an improvement. Then, we got followed up by Zyuohger which I think was so-so eventually after Mondo Misao arrived. Misao for me was too much of an unnecessary addition. Fortunately, Kyuranger came in to actually hype things up by a lightyear IMHO.

Zyuohger came and I admit that I've had a crush on Amu and Sela. I didn't want to admit I had a crush on Kasumi and Fuuka because the latter was underaged when it started. Both Ninninger and Zyuohger may have better writing than the mess that's Megaforce, no unnecessary summer break, and they still look like "masterpieces" when put near that awful show. However, they also suffer from a similar problem where the show's writing eventually gets me disinterested to rewatch it even when they've got pretty girls around. TBH, I just felt like the phrase, "The history of Sentai, it's over!" was about to become a reality during the rather boring Zyuohger vs. Ninninger movie!

__________

Pretty much, just another crazy rant!

Comments