How I Evolved As A Tekken Fan


I remembered as a child, I wasn't all too fond of Tekken. The reason was because of the "odd gameplay" where characters used the one button per limb fighting system and the more realistic approach in fighting. I started to like the series for its use of 3D graphics. But one thing I could remember was, "HOW ON EARTH AM I GOING TO MEMORIZE ALL THESE MOVES?" So I played Tekken like a masher using King without realizing that the game's actually meant to be accessible yet it goes deeper as you play it.

I had confused feelings about Tekken without understanding the full lore that it was always meant to be sci-fi since the beginning. It felt awkward to have non-projectile, a little more realistic fighting gameplay while the game requires you to screw logic every now and then. But that's the beauty of it with Tekken. You didn't really need to think too much. I was in denial that I actually enjoyed Tekken 3 but found the whole long list of moves to be tiresome. Then it came that I started getting bored with projectile based fighting games that I grew more and more in love with the Tekken franchise due to all the innovative features it kept giving the audience or the oddity it contained.

I went back to Tekken with Tekken 5. I gave it another shot and I remembered how addicted I got with Tekken 3 and regret why I didn't even want to openly admit it. What I admired was that the game had a sense of accessibility at the same time it got deeper. I remembered what I originally didn't like about Tekken when the game series first came out. Not only did I have a long list of moves to memorize but also the controls weren't so responsive. But a lot of that changed during Tekken 3 up to present. Sure the franchise doesn't get better all the time but quality is still in check.

I soon changed my preference from King to Kazuya and Jin overtime. I remembered how irritating it was to execute Kazuya's spin kick but that changed overtime. I felt Jin was a knock-off of Kazuya but he's my second favorite character. Considering how Tekken's innovative concepts smoothed things out then it became easier to use Kazuya's cheap spin kick attack. As of right now, I still feel that Tekken's my top favorite fighting game for how it evolved overtime.

Comments