Power Rangers Fan Rumor Mill: Jetman Was Supposed To Be Mighty Morphin's Source Material?


I don't know how true this rumor is but I heard that Saban and Toei originally wanted to use Chojin Sentai Jetman instead of Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger. I don't know how true this is. So how true is that? Saban localized Eagle Riders with the help of Tatsunoko's license so was he really eyeing on Jetman?

I don't find any reliable sources and I wonder where did some Power Rangers fans even get the idea? The Bioman pilot was verified but what about the whole Jetman thing? Haim Saban, Margaret Loesch of Fox Kids and Toei Ltd. may have had a lot of disagreements. If Saban ever wanted to use Jetman for Mighty Morphin' I guess people at Toei told him it wasn't the right time. Also, Saban could have gotten his approval but then changed his mind. It's all too speculative and I don't even have any clear answers.

The rumor also stated that Jetman is too violent for Power Rangers. I've seen both Jetman and Zyuranger and both are pretty violent. A lot of content in Zyuranger will never make it past the TV-Y7-FV radar. Too many events in Zyuranger are just as violent as Jetman such as the use of bullets and bleeding. Ohranger is that violent yet you had Power Rangers Zeo so I don't think violence would have been a reason for not using Jetman. On the other hand, I'm glad Jetman never became Power Rangers otherwise I'd never have my memory of the show. Sigh, why do Filipino TV networks keep having that stupid American superiority mentality?

So far, nothing suggests to verify or even deny this idea. What do you think?

Comments

  1. Here's the more likely scenario... Saban originally made a pilot from BIOMAN in the '80s for the US market, which didn't catch fire. As he held onto his license - due to his active relationship with Toei for the European market - and each year went by, the plan was to use whatever the latest show was. It was just a matter of timing when Fox Kids agreed to pick up Saban's idea, with the latest show at that juncture just happened to be ZYURANGER.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment