Mortal Kombat (2011) Should Get Remastered For Next Generation Systems


I was thinking about my hesitance to get a PS4 -- I did play Mortal Kombat X at a rent-a-game store and against a friend.  MKX had its fun factor but I can't deny the nostalgic factor with fewer frustrations and more fun that Mortal Kombat (2011) had to share with its audiences. It's hard to let go of MK (2011) for all its fun factor, being a more balanced version of Mortal Kombat Trilogy. Then I thought about playing MK Trilogy all over again and here's what I thought could be done.

Gameplay changes

The gameplay of the first game was fine.  After playing MK Trilogy, there were a couple of stuff that I wish were present. Sure, there are fatality trainers and it's way easier now to perform fatalities and babalities -- don't you think having Easy Fatalities can be a fun thing? I think having easy fatalities can be a fun thing. I remembered how I used it A LOT during MK Trilogy because I hated how difficult it was to do finishing moves back then. But there's one thing I want to return and it ain't the Friendships (though I wish Friendships returned instead of Babalities)...


It's the infamous Brutality from UMK3 and MK Trilogy. Sure, they did return in a new, more flexible form in MKX but I thought about adding them back into this remake. I wouldn't recommend the use of the multiple, super fast button press sequence but instead, add them like they are in Killer Instinct. Make them part of the combo where you put them as a combo ender against an opponent whose meter is now in critical condition. This will result in a bloody combo that will cause the opponent to be severely bloodied up instead of having them explode like they do in MK Trilogy.

Need I mention I think we could power up Noob and Rain a little bit? I thought about Rain's Water Ball could be near useless (for some) except if you know how to strategize it. IMO, make Rain's Water Ball still cause damage in its normal form except make it still less spammy to avoid the MK Trilogy frustration. For Noob, I think his Disabler should be powered up a bit. The Disabler should now go away in just ONE HIT (unlike MK Trilogy where Noob could freely abuse it) but make it disable the moves as well where they kick and punch to no avail. Or two, make Noob's Disabler not go away in just one hit all the while the opponent can still hurt you -- they can't block for a few seconds and Noob can take advantage of it.


Nerfing down Goro and Kintaro and making them playable

I do seldom replay Mortal Kombat Armageddon (as garbage at that game may be) and lately, I've had a habit of using a depowered Goro in MKX. Goro and Kintaro were overpowered in MK9 hence it was understandable why they weren't playable. Heck, I even can't imagine MK Trilogy getting online gameplay only for people to get frustrated because someone kept spamming Goro, Kintaro, Motaro, Shao Kahn as well as Noob and Rain (who were overly powered back then). Goro wasn't as much of a powerhouse in MKX either.

What's my proposal? Let Goro and Kintaro have playable, depowered versions of themselves. If there's a distinction between the playable Shang Tsung (who can't morph into several characters save the opponent to balance vs. gameplays) then why can't we do the same for Goro and Kintaro? Maybe, not with Shao Kahn but we do have Goro and Kintaro. Give them several combos, allow them to jump normally like regular characters, and have them do less damage than they did -- something like that of Mortal Kombat Armageddon where the Shokans got somewhat depowered.

Adding some modes from MKX can be added to this remastered edition

I played MKX and I admit, man there are a LOT of cool features that I wish were in MK9! Sure, I do enjoy MK9 better for its nostalgic value and maybe, it'll be more beginner friendly than MKX ever will be (due to MKX requiring you to master your character three different ways) which I wish would happen. These are the One vs. CPU player mode (where you can fight against the CPU with an opponent of your choice), the Endless Mode (which Tekken introduced way back in the PS2 days) and I don't know what else Netherrealm can add.

Added arenas from the first MK games would be nice

No, I don't suggest returning the multi-tier arena because I can remember the frustration I always had whenever a mere uppercut deprived me of the chance to finish opponents off with the Subway Stage Fatality and the Lava Stage Fatality. But there are a couple of Kombat Zones or arenas that I want to really make a comeback even if they aren't in story mode -- after all Pit Bottom was never in Story Mode, right? What Kombat zones are these? I could talk about the Palace Courtyard, Warrior Shrine, The Portal, and Kombat Tomb (complete with the roof Spikes fatality).  For me, it didn't feel too complete without them. 

_____

What about you? What do you want to be done in a remastered edition? 

Comments