Remembering X-Men Evolution

I for one wouldn't consider myself a comic book purist especially that the comic books these days can be full of SJW idiocy or creating a storyline for the sake of it. I thought about how much of a fan I was of what I'd call the more popular X-Men cartoon series by Haim Saban vs. the heavy alteration (for better or for worse) from the original source material. Well, Saban's X-Men cartoon wasn't so faithful to the comics either for obvious reasons. The comics is just too bloody and violent or two, times change and X-Men pretty much started in the 60s to 70s and was subjected to alterations every now and then.

So what do I like about X-Men Evolution not found in Saban's interpretation of X-Men? For ne, I kinda like how the show actually cuts out the Cyclops-Wolverine-Jean Grey tension in place of a Jean Grey-Rogue-Cyclops tension. Also, Wolverine isn't really an official X-Man but a mentor like Storm is -- it's even hinted both of them are actually a couple which makes me sad they haven't had much time. I mean, I kinda wanted Wolverine and Storm to actually get deeper than their already close relationship -- they should have been a couple.

Most of the X-Men are still learning what it means to be an X-Man -- they are placed as students who are trying to fit in. IMHO, I like the idea especially with how Magneto's Brotherhood isn't exactly all evil -- more like his recruits in training. Magneto does appear to be what I'd call an extreme Darwinist with his actions -- he tends to prefer stronger mutants. Also, I wish that Juggernaut (who is portrayed as a mutant here) were actually part of Magneto's team -- or that, Pyro could have been part of the Brotherhood still as Avalanche's best friend like the original. Scarlet Witch should have also appeared earlier with her twin brother Quicksilver. Mystique is portrayed to be Magneto's right hand yet she ends up deviating from him -- her mind gets warped with her power upgrade making her more estranged from Nightcrawler and her "adoptive daughter" Rogue -- though Irene Adler/ Destiny also played as a mother figure but wasn't given so much of a part.

I remembered some of the criticisms I threw at Saban's X-Men cartoon -- the ambiguity and letting Apocalypse appear too early at the first season. Do you remember the classic opening where Magneto leads his thugs? Well, Mystique was in it yet she's also seen working for Apocalypse. Saban's X-Men somewhat hinted that Magneto was actually under the influence of Apocalypse especially in the episodes where he attempted to master time itself -- both Magneto and Mystique are actually under his payroll until they both betrayed him. Both only worked for him at the fear of their lives. In X-Men Evolution -- Apocalypse is introduced as a later villain which gave Magneto more room for development. Magneto's later Acolytes could have been Gambit (though his former villain days were with Mr. Sinister), Sabertooth, Colossus, Juggernaut and Mastermind.

Also, the ending seems pretty got me mixed. For instance, Apocalypse' plan to mutate everyone at a global scale was a good plot -- but I wish they modified his plan to control the Axis of Time itself. Maybe, we could have had Angel as one of the four horsemen. Maybe, would have had Magneto and Mystique trying to put their differences aside since they both have a greater foe. Maybe, we could have Wolverine as a Horseman for the finale. Maybe, we could have a bit of it where Scarlet Witch soon realizes her mind is altered. I mean, both Magneto and Mystique should have been dumped by their offspring for their terrible parentage. Magneto hasn't been a better parent either. 

For one,  deviating from the material can be good. X-Men Evolution managed to really do some things good (or bad). For one, I thought Angel himself should have been regularized than just stay as a guest character. Also, I kinda felt bad the whole Angel turning into Archangel scene was omitted. But again, it's a pretty entertaining series which I could still rewatch. 

Comments