The 90s Sonic The Hedgehog Cartoons

I remembered being a fan of the Sonic the Hedgehog series though I never played any Sega-created games until I had a Playstation 2. Here's a blast from the past with my childhood with Sonic the Hedgehog -- a franchise I had some obsession with such as having the Sonic comics by Archie and well, getting mad that I never had a Sega system back in the 90s. Those were the times when Sega was once butting heads against Nintendo and Sony in Japan -- a war it eventually lost that it ended up focusing solely on video games by producing games for those two companies. 

The first one I remember was the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog by DIC. It was a widely successful cartoon which featured Dr. Eggman (called Dr. Robotnik in the show) with some cartoon-exclusive villains such as Scratch, Grounder and Coconuts -- all who were merely based on the Badniks from the video game continuity. It featured both Sonic and Tails as the main protagonists. It lasted for a good 65 episodes -- though there was no finale with it. It was a fun show which rivaled my love for the highly successful Super Mario Bros. Super Show (which also had Saban as a co-production company) which had a total of 52 episodes.

The second one is the 26-episode, short-lived Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon series which also had an Archie comics going on with it. In this one. Dr. Robotnik is the tyrannical ruler of Mobius and Sonic leads the Freedom Fighters. It was full of characters that don't exist in the video games such as Sally the Squirrel is his love interest while video game Sonic's love interest is Amy. The whole show was a darker turn as everyone seeks to free their planet. It had a hanging finale which Dr. Robotnik's nephew survived and swore to take revenge, a mysterious monster with red eyes yet why wasn't it pursued? I guess ratings were too low to pursue it huh?

So far, I remembered liking the less popular reboot series better than the first one. But somehow, I guess not so many people were happy with the more serious feel of the second one. As of present, I wonder if how I'll react again after rewatching these shows as a part of my childhood?

Comments