Belle And Beast Had Way Better Chemistry 26 Years Ago

Newer is always better? Not really! It had me thinking of why I tend to get negative about some modern remakes of many beloved animated classics. Right now, I even think about how Disney is already going for the worse and the whole movie last year -- Beauty and the Beast (2017) was no exception. Now it's time for a comparison of Belle and Beast and the chemistry they had together in both films. 

I decided to rewatch the bland remake just to make this article. I thought about how much I actually thought of it as my favorite fairytale -- how a prince trapped in the appearance of a monster (while still maintaining his human biology) and having to have someone love him and be loved in return was my fantasy. Now how does it fair in 2017 vs. 1991? I would have to say that the chemistry of 2017 is just down flat -- I can't even decide which is worse between the 2018 version of Meteor Garden or the 2017 version of Beauty and the Beast in terms of bland chemistry between the leading roles.

What did I like about the 1991 version? It was the quality of how everything was done -- there was the right amount of emotion. Aside from the fact that I love to heckle Luke Evans' Gaston as what would be a love child of the cartoon Gaston and Jafar's sister Nasira -- I also criticized at how Emma Watson's casting was just BAD -- not that my own personal choice of Emma Roberts as Belle would do better, right? But I'd like to focus on how Belle and Beast met, how it wasn't a good start and how the 1991 version is superior to the 2017 version in terms of chemistry.

Do you remember how the meeting at the castle happened? Aside from the fact that you see really good emotions from otherwise animated characters -- you see a more conflicted reaction. Belle appears to save her father and Beast appears. He sees her and probably admires her. I just love there was more of the emotions such as when Belle cries because she wasn't even allowed to bid her father goodbye. Beast looks at it saddened -- which could have worked well into the 2017 version but it never was. Beast starts to have thoughts that Belle could be the one to break the curse. It was always more romantic how Beast is conflicted between his years of isolation vs. trying to open up to the world.

What did I like about how Beast takes Lumiere's advice vs. where Beast gets enraged over Belle being given a better room. I like all the emotions that took place in 1991. Belle cries as she may never see her father again. Beast offers her a new room but only admires her physically at first. Beast is struggling with a lust that could put Belle into real danger if it wasn't for the TV-Y7-FV ratings. Beast then tries to invite Belle for dinner but with a harsh tone. Later, Beast only sees his exterior ugliness as a result of the curse -- he even goes as far as to say that it's no use because Belle is so pretty and he's so ugly. The servants try to help him out but nothing happens. Beast is simply concerned about the superficial at this point!

However, Beast in 2017 version is really well -- not interested in her one bit. Sometimes, I can't blame him because of Watson's casting. But I thought that it's stupid to relegate the part to both Lumierre and Cogsworth because they didn't play more parts at the beginning. I even liked it better when it was Lumierre's idea to bring Maurice into the fireplace than what happened here. I find it absurd why Beast would even rescue Belle if all he thinks of her there is the "daughter of a common thief". In the 1991 version -- Beast had a little more reason to rescue Belle. He was falling for her and wanted to make her his bride. The 2017 version just made it too fast!

How the chemistry worked between 1991 and 2017 is this -- there's real focus on Belle and Beast. The scene where Belle actually thanks Beast for saving her life added more chemistry in the 1991 version. Sure, I did like the background Beast had where his late father twisted him but there's that lack of emotion. I even think about how the 1991 version had Beast slowly realize that he's now liking Belle beneath her pretty face. The remastered version has Belle slowly making Beast remember his basic education since he's forgotten after a long time. At first, he only sees her as something he must have but later he starts seeing her for who she is. Belle starts seeing the jerk with a heart of gold in Beast. We have that phase where his confused lust turns to love. It just made everything transition better up to the point where Beast finally releases Belle to be with her father.

IMHO, pretty much the 1991 version still rocks over the 2017 version. So you might as well get a DVD of the 1991 version instead!

Comments