Dragon Quest Heroes Ain't Your Typical Dragon Quest

I admit, I didn't get into Dragon Quest until the eighth game and I have NO INTENTION of finishing that Dragon Warrior VII game back in the PS1 days -- I'd like to see it remastered. Now, I thought about that while turn-based gameplay can be fun but I usually prefer the Hack and Slash gameplay where you get more active, get to mash against multiple foes as a stress relief game.

The story takes place with the main continuity to be that of Luceus (the talkative strategist) and Aurora (who's an impulsive lady) with Arba's benevolent badass ruler King Doric. Both of them are fire and ice and perhaps Yin and Yang. Along the way, they would actually introduce players to some old school Dragon Quest characters such as Terry (Dragon Quest III), Yangus and Jessica (Dragon Quest VIII), Maya (Dragon Quest IV), and Nera and Bianca (Dragon Quest V).

So the game was released more than three years ago but too bad the PS3 version only had the Japanese version. I may be a fan of Japanese stuff even if I'm not Japanese -- but playing a Japanese game without understanding anything is FRUSTRATING. I remembered how I played Super Robot Wars, the Kamen Rider games and many more for the first Playstation and got lost in it. Then I got a PS4 years after it first came out at a discount. Hehe.

The game doesn't have you have the free-roaming style like Final Fantasy does so maybe it's a minus for some. For me, having the simplistic gameplay was a nice break from the innovative world of nearly free-roaming RPGs. It was more of a mission deployment thing like Megaman X Command Mission. You spend your time floating at the Institute where you get requests and all your weapons are bought in one sight. I think the simplification is sort of a genius innovation -- it allows casual RPG players like myself to enjoy though some may prefer the more complex ones.

So how does it stand? I do love using the combo approach but I tend to miss the fun I had with Final Fantasy XVI's more free-roaming approach for the rest of the game. I kind of wanted to talk with people from other places in every place I visit. Then again, this game feels like it's been designed to help de-stress people by having them take on several monsters with insane moves and combos one way or another.

Comments