A Less Hot Princess Jasmine (2019) Worked Like A Charm


It's ironic how Naomi Scott made me hesitate over Power Rangers (2017) but hasn't done the same effect for me for Aladdin (2019). So how did Princess Jasmine being less hot actually work? Princess Jasmine (1992) is too hot for her own good. Jafar in the 1990s version goes from a scheming vizier who soon got Jasmine's hotness into is head later in the game. But the 2019 version has a less attractive Jasmine actually worked.

How do I think it worked? It doesn't distract me from the changes the story had. For instance, Jasmine being presented to be less attractive (but still attractive in her own way) makes you want her more for power than appearance. Jafar (2019) is more focused on, "I must marry the princess to legitimize my planned tyranny." He even attempts to marry her rather than that disturbing scene in the 1990s version where Jasmine was forced to become what could be a sex slave for Jafar. Jafar (2019) focuses on marrying Jasmine so he could finally rule Agrabah as its king.

Jasmine (1992) was just too hot. Remember that scene when Jasmine used her sex appeal to distract Jafar in the 1992 film? I still find it disturbing especially when the Sultan kept saying, "But you're so old!" whenever Jafar used hypnosis in said film. Jasmine (2019) being less hot really and I mean really worked its charm.

Quite a contrast to me actually not wanting to initially watch Beauty and the Beast (2017) that much because blah Belle (2019) isn't as hot as Belle (1991). Until now, I'm still complaining about how Emma Watson wasn't hot enough to be Belle. However, I don't find myself complaining that Scott herself wasn't as hot as Jasmine (1991) in the long run.

Comments