Will A Hotter Mulan End Up With A Bland Remake?

Whenever there's a remake -- I set a low bar these days. I was expecting Aladdin (2019) to be disappointing BUT I was amazed at how Will Smith made a good Genie, a less pretty Princess Jasmine has its own charm, and maybe a younger Jafar made the whole lust scenario less disgusting. But now, I'd like to drag the attention to Mulan. Liu Yi Fei did act well in the Forbidden Kingdom movie where she did well. But she didn't appear in any more Hollywood movies after that.

My beef with most American films these days is how deteriorated most of them have become. I remembered how I thought the Beauty and the Beast (2017) movie just lacks the life or maybe it was just because Emma Watson's not hot enough to be Belle. The scenario of Mulan (2020) is different because now Yi Fei is more than hot enough to be Mulan. But is her being Mulan just a desperate bailout and hoping to use her beauty to win a score. Though Yi Fei in due fairness has been more known for her thorns than for her petals. Try to harass her and you might end up in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) or even in your coffin. But it's easy to just think of how hot the new Mulan will be (and I admit, I am in that too) than her value.

So how will the plot of the new Mulan actually unfold? Will it give viewers what they deserve such as cool fight scenes (watered down as they maybe because we're not talking about a Rated-R movie) and a good plot? Will it just end up as another eye-candy flick that will try to use Yi Fei to bail it out? 

Leaves room for thought.

Comments