How I Think Tekken's Devil Gene Plot Could've Been Done Better Than Tekken 7's Story


I remembered writing about my mixed reaction towards Tekken 7's Devil Gene revelation that the curse was with the Hachijo (Kazumi's family) than with the Mishima family. So, I decided to come up with my own creative way of how the Devil Gene could've been revealed. I thought about a couple of stuff while replaying Tekken 5 to rinse myself of Tekken 7's lackluster outcome (and I had very HIGH expectations for said game) -- I thought about the one person that was Jinpachi Mishima.

Jinpachi was the first originally unplayable Tekken character. He was also an interesting point because he is the Mishima patriarch though nothing is known yet about his wife (Heihachi's mother) and the only matriarch who was revealed is Kazumi. I thought that if Katsuhiro Harada wanted to make it look like Heihachi was evil at his own free will -- why not make the Mishima as the SOURCE of the Devil Gene and made it skip Heihachi like a black sheep or something like that? I simply have my own way which I'd discuss in this blog entry.

I remembered the time I actually played as Heihachi in Tekken 5 and the dialogue where Heihachi brags, "Devil's blood or not -- you can't beat me!" Also, do you remember what happens when you purposely get a game over against Jinpachi? His "ending" plays where he laments that he's consumed by the Devil -- NOT AN ANGRY GHOST! So WTF is Harada thinking about making that retcon? I don't think it was even a mistranslation. Jinpachi himself may have been the best candidate for why the Mishima BLOOD CURSE happens. I think setting up Kazumi as the source is pretty much anti-climatic.

So how do I intend to do this one? Kazumi herself would still be from the Hachijo Clan who I'd write to be an ally of the Kazamas. The Hachijos and Kazamas would be devoted to eradicating the Devil Gene. A secret agreement between Jun Kazama (who I think should've returned in Tekken 7 as an older version of herself) and Kazumi may be called for. I think Jun would be assigned to destroy the Devil Gene if ever Kazumi fails. However, Kazumi falls for Heihachi and they have their son Kazuya.

My next intended plot is where Heihachi kills Kazumi out of sheer malice. Heihachi has been long burdened by the Devil Gene problem of his father, that he's probably just lucky it skipped him, all the while he proves himself to be more malevolent than anyone who succumbs to its corruption. Kazumi would realize that while Heihachi has no Devil Gene -- her father-in-law Jinpachi has been a far more moral agent and fears Kazuya may become like his father. Kazumi would try to kill Heihachi to save the world but only to die. Heihachi may gloat, "Devil gene or not -- I don't need it!" while he kills Kazumi and I suggest RIGHT IN FRONT OF KAZUYA. This would happen after Kazumi realizes that Heihachi is willfully evil starting by locking up HIS OWN FATHER down the Honmaru to die to hide the dirty secret of the Mishima bloodline -- which however Heihachi proves himself to be eviler than the rest even if his Devil Gene is either dormant or it just skipped one generation.

I would have it where the Devil persona would find Jinpachi too weak and too caring but rejects Heihachi for a reason. Kazuya would do the opposite of his grandfather Jinpachi -- by allowing the Devil to consume him entirely! This would have it that Heihachi would get too irritated at his family secret getting out. Hmmm, maybe I could throw Lars into the whole mix as well. Lars would also get into the dysfunctional family feud. I'd have it that he unknowingly sired Lars and when they meet -- even Lars shows signs of that power. I think the Devil Gene should skip Heihachi for the reason that he's even eviler than the Devil Gene itself. Just think of who in fact, at his own FREE WILL, caused all the sufferings in the Tekken story?

I would have probably want Heihachi to be forever in the denial game. He would probably even disown Lars just to hide the truth of the Mishima blood curse. He would have his own issues where he as the main antagonist wants to kill his own family for this reason -- he has insecurities. The Devil Gene was passed from his father, down to his two sons (which in my imagination, Lars is also included), and grandson but not to him. He would have wanted his family to serve him but they, in fact, have the ability to overthrow him. Hence, he kills Kazumi because he can't control her. I'd probably give the Hachijos more or less the same power as the Kazamas -- the power to negate the Devil Gene. Then Heihachi would try to make an obedient slave out of Kazuya but fails -- which results in the whole infamous incident that made Kazuya a bad guy in the first place!

Since I'm having Jun in the story -- I think I'd use Jun instead of the out-of-place Akuma. It sounds cool on paper but really -- I'm getting too mad at Capcom now to even think Akuma in Tekken 7 is a cool idea. How would I put Jun into the story? Jun herself would be assigned to try and redeem Kazuya from his curse, all the while forever exterminate Heihachi. However, Jun who's so young and naive at that time soon gets sweet-talked by Heihachi -- making her think maybe Kazumi was wrong about Heihachi leading to the plot of Tekken 3. Do you remember when Jun asked Kazuya to seek out Heihachi if anything should happen to the former? Jun would later regret her decision when she figures out that Heihachi isn't the sweet loving old man he is later in life. Maybe, have Jun confirmed dead at the hands of Ogre -- but do put her in the flashbacks when Kazumi's ghost requests Jun to finish what she couldn't end.

What's my next plot? I think the whole Mishima saga should end this way. Maybe, have Jin actually try to reason out with his family which fails so he has to again fight them. I think the whole final battle in the volcano should be where Kazuya and Jin would probably (and finally) put their differences aside. Maybe, let Jin uncover the fact that his paternal grandmother and his maternal grandfather wanted to end the chaos caused by Heihachi. Maybe, make Kazuya remember Jun and the way she tried to redeem him. Kazuya would eventually get rid of Heihachi this time for good. Make the character control Kazuya NOT Heihachi for the final round. After that, Heihachi falls into the volcano. Have Lars, Jin, and Kazuya finally put the source of their miseries forever out and have them try to overcome the blood feud they had for years -- by getting rid of the source of it.

What do you think of this imagined plot?

Comments