Why Pamela Anderson Should've Been That Mortal Woman On Stage In "Interview With The Vampire" IMHO (Warning: Viewer's Discretion Is STRONGLY ADVISED)


I'm not exactly a fan of the Vampire Chronicles series though I'd love to make a bit of a trick or treat nitpick. One movie I remembered seeing during Halloween during the 90s (at least on cable TV and I was still 10 at that time) was Interview with the Vampire which will celebrate its silver anniversary on November 5, 2019. However, I'd like to write it today because it's October 31. Speaking of silver, aren't vampires supposedly scared of silver? So, for a bit of a Halloween post - I'd actually just do a minor nitpick of who should've played the mortal woman on stage. I could remember the guilty pleasure of rewinding the scene and only watching the movie for this scene. However, I thought about my own wishful casting for the mortal woman on stage.

Then I think of the curious tidbit behind why Laure Marsac was chosen...

Vampires, especially the stylish sub-breed of those defiling bloodsuckers who group together onscreen in movies Oscar-nominated for art direction, are very choosy about the virginally sweet child-women they ceremoniously disrobe, slay, and slurp upon. The ideal sacrifice must be fair of skin, fine-boned of face, with a blondeness reminiscent of a stilled breeze, a wiry wisp of which blondeness must cover the juncture at the top of her thighs. When she stands, a drugged satiation must cause her eyes to droop as if in satisfied lust, and her breasts must be plump and buoyant, as if filled and bobbing with life's most important fluid. In short, the perfect victim and party favor is embodied by French actress Laure Marsac, as full-frontally revealed in Interview with the Vampire: The Vampire Chronicles (1994).

Personally, I think Pamela Anderson actually embodied those traits fully that were said to be embodied by Laure. If you think of it... Pamela does pass the following standards of the directors for the victim on stage:
  • Fair-skinned - CHECK!
  • Fine-boned face - CHECK!
  • Blondeness like a stilled breeze - CHECK!
  • Wiry wisp - CHECK!
  • Drugged satiation must cause her eyes to droop - CHECK! 
  • Breasts must be plump and buoyant - CHECK!

I'd want to assume that the directors themselves never saw Snapdragon or The Best of Pamela Anderson. If they did then SCREW THEM HARD! Seeing those two videos would give them what they wanted for the mortal woman on stage. Snapdragon had scenes of her really having the look directors were looking for. They could've seen the characteristics that were all to be there one way or another.

Granted, one could argue about Laure's performance. Laure made the mortal woman truly pitiful and frightened for her life. Though, isn't Laure a big-time French star? Laure had her performance on bigger projects. Pamela is more of a prop and the mortal woman was a prop in her role. Laure was somehow nothing more than demoted to extra. Pamela could've fit the extra role well. Laure somehow doesn't deserve to be an "extra" instead of the lead role. Laure's acting seems to beat MOST OF THE CAST. Laure not only stole the show by getting stripped naked and for having the worst death in the movie. It was also for her ACTING. She had a Cesar's Award a few years before this film, proving she isn't a sideline actress. Rewatching the scene all over again makes me think she didn't deserve to even land on such a short role. I felt the role was best left to some random hot Playboy star instead of an award-winning actress. 

There could be this behind the scenes that may have happened all along why she NEVER became the mortal woman (Warning: Read more at your own discretion)

We can't really know what truly happened behind the scenes (BTS) all the time now, can we? It's like we may never figure out why mysterious disappearances happened. It may also be that we'll never know if other people were meant to accept the part or not. It's like I feel Hercules: The Legendary Journeys may have wanted the late Honor Blackman as Hera but ended up securing Megan Foster instead for Hera's first appearance in the series. I think the same happened with Pamela - something that I'd like to imagine happened way before.  

The U.S. Magazine would tell us this interesting detail of Anderson's life back in her way younger days:

"I did not have an easy childhood. Despite loving parents, I was molested from age 6 to 10 by my female babysitter," the Baywatch alum revealed during a speech, the Associated Press reports. "I went to a friend's boyfriend's house and when she was busy the boyfriend's older brother decided he would teach me backgammon which led in to a back massage, which led in to rape. My first heterosexual experience. He was 25 years old, I was 12," said Anderson, who was visibly nervous during the address, according to the AP.

The future Playboy model and longtime animal rights advocate went on: "My first boyfriend in grade nine decided it would be funny to gang rape me with six of his friends. Needless to say I had a hard time trusting humans and I just wanted off this earth."

Pamela Anderson as a teenager

Here are bits and tidbits about the novel Interview with the Vampire. The novel by Anne Rice was published on May 5, 1976, while the movie happened on November 11, 1994. Pamela was born on July 1, 1967. It would mean she was born nine years old when the novel was published. She was in Grade 9 when she was raped. I heard she was only 14 years old when it happened. The novel and the movie had some important differences. Pamela would be nine years old when the novel was published. She would be 14 when the novel felt like it'd blow up to her face. 

The novel featured the Theater Des Vampires scene. Anybody who saw it UNEDITED may have had mixed emotions. It's really a pitiful scene where an innocent young woman is captured (perhaps even newly captured for the night performance), she's ganged up, and it's basically a gang rape when the woman is stripped completely naked. I was only 10 years old when I saw it - pretty much damaged my brain! The novel described the woman's bush as a child's down - meaning she was probably a TEENAGER when the vampires fed on her. In the movie, Laure was 24 years old when it happened. The horrifying nature of it is that a mortal woman is getting stripped COMPLETELY NAKED against her will, raped, and MURDERED by sucking all her blood in front of a clueless audience. The audience think it's "all part of the show" even while, as the novel describes, the woman was getting pale as one vampire drank from her until there was no blood left. The scene was given a shortcut treatment in the movie when the vampires gang up on the woman's unconscious body (Armand knocked her to sleep before drinking some of his fill) to drink the rest of her blood.

I felt like what happened to Pamela (even before the movie) was kind of similar. No, she wasn't taken to some theater and neither did these guys ever hold a show with her. How Pamela was raped isn't detailed and it's best she doesn't disclose it for the sake of her two sons who are now adults. I do feel that the novel blew up in her face. I have a KOOKY theory that the seven boys may have read the novel Interview with the Vampire. I felt that the stage scene may have amused them. I bet they probably decided to act on the book. I can't be sure where the rape happened. All I could do was speculate. What I could imagine was that a 14-year-old Pamela was taken to some location instead of a mock play. What I could imagine is that the seven boys decided to try and imitate the stage play. I'd imagine they probably all had a part in undressing her completely. Pamela was fortunate enough that the boys didn't drink her blood. Still, I could imagine what if they all took turns in deriving pleasure from her beautiful naked teenage body. Probably, I could imagine Pamela lying down on the floor while the seven men were kissing different parts of her body. Fortunately, she didn't get pregnant at that time. 

Director Neil Jordan was probably looking for possible cast members maybe as early as 1991 or 1992. I think Jordan himself was probably looking at his scope. Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise, Antonio Banderas, and Stephen Rea were all playing key characters. Those characters had an important plot in Louis' long-dragging centuries of boredom and despair. However, the mortal woman was just a random woman whose name isn't even mentioned. She's just an extra. I bet Jordan was probably reading through Playboy magazines and watching various movies. Pamela was first noticed in a ball game. I bet Jordan wanted to get Pamela too. Maybe, he watched Snapdragon and Raw Justice. Maybe, Jordan felt that Pamela should be the mortal woman on the stage. Pamela had an innocent-looking face, a sexy body, etc. I assume that Jordan probably contacted Pamela before filming could even begin. I bet he saw Pamela had that aura of innocence. I feel like some of Pamela's naked photos feel like she was undressed against her will than her doing it willingly. I feel she provided a perfect facade.

I guess Jordan probably had a scheduled appointment with Pamela. Pamela probably met Jordan in some restaurant or coffee shop at that time. I could imagine the two had a conversation over trying to get her to star as the mortal woman on stage. Probably, Pamela had read the novel herself sometime later. Jordan probably would've described to Pamela the role she might've been made to play. I guess Pamela didn't make her gang rape thing that public at that time. I guess only a few knew about it until she spoke about it loudly later past her prime as a mother of two sons. Pamela was still single and in her prime during the early 1990s. I felt like Jordan wanted to have her make a cameo for that one particular scene - the mortal woman on stage. I felt Pamela politely decline Jordan saying, "Sorry but I can't play this part. It'll relive bad memories." I feel like negotiation was done until Pamela made it clear that she wasn't playing the part. She probably told Jordan the real deal. Jordan probably decided to professionally keep it a secret. Jordan probably decided it was for the best not to let her play the role. 

I guess that's why Jordan later tried to secure Laure. Personally, I found Pamela prettier than Laure back when they were in their prime. Though Laure has aged rather well even in her 50s, she's still married to her husband Ivan Taieb, and they have two daughters who look like her. Laure's a French actress so I guess Jordan met Laure in Paris. Probably, Laure had no schedule whatsoever. It's not known why Laure even decided to allow herself into an extra role whose name isn't mentioned. None of the materials of the Vampire Chronicles even give the mortal woman a name or a background. All that's known of her is that she was captured for an "evening presentation", gang-raped, and murdered via bloodsucking. I think Laure didn't mind being a stage prop or a footnote. Plus, I don't think Laure had a history of being gang-raped even if she's kind of attractive. 

_________

Just my weird post for some weird reason! 

Updated: June 27, 2022

Comments

Post a Comment