Do You Remember The Street Fighter II Series?


The Street Fighter series wasn't officially launched as a hit game until Street Fighter II. I remembered the craze that it had with the release of the II series for the arcades and home consoles. Granted, I never had a Super Nintendo so I didn't really experience it that much. The Playstation which came during the late 90s for us brought me the Street Fighter 2 Collection disc and there was also Super Street Fighter II followed up with Turbo. I wonder what was in Capcom's head when they created the rehash of the II series. We never saw that for Mortal Kombat II being rehashed so often huh? MK3 which wasn't so popular had UMK3 and MK Trilogy as follow-ups that didn't do much either.

I could remember these games to be what they are today - terribly imbalanced with the CPU that cheated you so often. The arcade machines were notoriously crazy. I remembered how it was so stupid that certain characters can do charge moves CONSECUTIVELY while you needed to charge backwards or downwards first. You can imagine just how incredibly unfair it was especially when General Bison (Vega) would frequently use his Psycho Crusher (which was a standard move though I prefer it as a super move and him using a fireball - like the Alpha series) at you like there was no tomorrow.

The first game featured eight playable characters and four non-playable bosses. Then the bosses were made playable but terribly powerful. I could remember how these games were frustratingly difficult. Then you had Super Street Fighter II which gave you new characters namely Dee Jay, Fei Long, Cammy, and T. Hawk as new characters. New mechanics were introduced. Then you had Super Street Fighter II Turbo which added the Super Combo mechanic. However, the mechanic is usually very hard to pull off. Until now, I always failed to reach Akuma (Gouki) because this game is just too freaking hard. It takes a real good player to reach Akuma too!

How much money did you spend just to get the latest version of Street Fighter II? Then I think about how this practice for me is actually a result of commercialized gaming. They're too desperate to ride on the success that they upgraded the game more than once. You also had this practice with Street Fighter III which eventually resulted in New Generation, 2nd Impact, and Third Strike. Fortunately, I only had Third Strike. Street Fighter IV would also follow the same practice by adding Super Street Fighter IV followed up by Ultra Street Fighter IV as part of the game series. Somehow, is it me, or this practice really that dirty?

Comments