Marvel VS. Capcom 2: Why It's Now A Mess For Me

I remembered all the hype Marvel vs. Capcom 2 got WAY BACK in the 2000s. I don't want to deny that many people lined up to play the game. Three vs. three? Heavier hitter specials? Many endless possibilities? I would say the game had a lot of potentials to become a better game. However, the more I play it - the more I realized I may have been better off with some of the previous installments of the Marvel vs. Capcom series such as X-Men vs. Street Fighter, Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter or the first Marvel vs. Capcom game. I feel like paying extra credits to get the full edition of the game which wasn't available during the PS1 days. I remembered playing this game on the Playstation 2 and before that - the arcade. It was a fun experience but fun while it lasted for a good reason.

Three vs. three sounded fun. All the insane team-up hyper combo possibilities were there. I could remember how I started analyzing which beam type supers would work together. It was pretty much a cheesy game. I could remember endlessly spamming Cable, Megaman, and well any beam-type character for that matter. I usually relied on cheese than skill to win this game. The game had 56 characters to choose from (and you had the mission to unlock them all via point credits). The downside was there was no character ending whatsoever. It seemed like a game built meant for two-player more than one player. Then I started thinking of what the game was seriously missing from its predecessors.

The game itself can be considered lacking balance. I hate to admit it but Cable is F***ING OVERPOWERED. Yes, viper beam, viper beam, hyper viper beam, and the guy is nearly invincible. Other characters who are overpowered may include Megaman, Iceman (he tends to take the least damage AND the ice beam here is way hyped up), Ironman, War Machine, or any beam-type character. Just imagine if you had a game where you had a tag team of beam-type characters vs. non-beam type characters. Many times, it was possible to really troll your opponent by executing a beam-type Hyper Combo to score as many hits and just infuriate your opponent. The matches can become more irritating than fun. I didn't have that much problem with Megaman players back in the first game. The second game? Yeesh... Megaman teamed up with Cable or any beam-type character can spell a high chance of near-cheating!

I could also talk about the problem of tag-team combat. Two vs. two is more focused on three vs. three. I guess I got this into my head right after I ended up playing two major hit games namely Tekken Tag Tournament 2 and Mortal Kombat (2011). MK (2011) featured the tag tournament system which really made me think, "Why did I even enjoy the three vs. three back then? This is way more focused!" The two vs. two helped kept focus. Three vs. three ends up very chaotic. That's why I really thought of buying Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite until I read more reviews about its problems. UI think most of the tag teams also tend to be very imbalanced. Get the wrong combination and you can easily lose against spamming players. The two vs. two do more focus than three vs. three ever will.

Maybe, I could also talk about Abyss. No, it's not the Abyss from Marvel Comics but an original character created. I find this boss eventually boring. Sure, he can score hits but I thought using either Cable or Megaman can easily cheese this guy. With Megaman, all I do is shoot, charge, block, shoot, charge, block. Cable can also easily take out the guy. The third form can be cheesed especially with full beam characters. I remembered how I eventually did a well-timed beam team hyper combo and wait... that's it? The challenge factor is gone. It wasn't like Apocalypse in the first two games, Cyber Akuma who was infuriatingly crazy (and I accessed the cheat menu eventually to take revenge on him), or Onslaught. Onslaught's second form was notoriously hard to defeat especially his head or his arm (which will HIT YOU) was the only weak spot. You can't rely on cheesing to defeat those three bosses. Abyss? Well, he will eventually get boring and I'll miss Apocalypse, Cyber Akuma, and Onslaught sooner or later.

For me, this is probably among the many old school games that haven't aged well. I'd be willing to get a near-perfect copy of the first three Marvel vs. Capcom games but this is definitely OUT of the category.

Comments