I Was Mindblown To Learn Ginrai Ain't Optimus Prime

It's no doubt that Optimus Prime happens to be one of my favorite Transformers characters though I can relate more to Hotrod/Rodimus Prime instead. So, what's the deal with me mindblown that Ginrai wasn't Optimus Prime? Back then, I watched that really sh*tty Takara Transformers trilogy dub. Who can remember calling Deszaras as Dezandras? A huge error in the dubbing by Omni Dub Productions in Hong Kong was calling Ginrai as Optimus Prime. So, it turns out that Optimus Prime had a backup body AND fused with a human named Ginrai. Hence, Ginrai looks like Optimus Prime but with some subtle differences to the late, great Autobot leader.

Mindblown? Well, I would dare say yes. I haven't watched the Takara Transformers series in the original audio (which was no surprise had Toei's involvement too) so I just bought the sh*tty Omni Dub hook, line, and sinker. What was totally wrecking was when I got into the Transformers Wiki and found out that Ginrai isn't Optimus Prime. It turns out that the Transector bonded with a human. Though it was supposedly termed as Power Master Optimus Prime. Yet, the Masterforce series refused to call it as such as decided with the name Ginrai.

The name Ginrai was further carried over even after Masterforce ended. The Powermasters separated from their Transformers hosts resulting in the birth of new Transformers bearing their names. So if the "Optimus Prime" that was turned into Victory Leo ain't the late, great leader of the Autobots then I'm fine with the total demotion. I mean, I really did smash my head (not literally though) when I saw "Optimus Prime" was going to become Victory Leo. But since it ain't Optimus Prime then I'm pretty fine with it!

Comments