Unpopular Opinion: Tekken 2 Is Plain Overrated


It's no doubt that Tekken couldn't have become better if it wasn't for the second entry called Tekken 2. It's nearly the same phenomenon that launched a couple of games in the 90s to early 2000s via their second entries. It reminds me of how the first Mortal Kombat game gets underappreciated eventually because of the second entry. It reminds me of how Street Fighter's first game gets ignored in favor of the superior Street Fighter II series. Tekken is no different and the second game is what gave Tekken the definition of what it means to be in the King of Iron Fist Tournament, right?

Well, I thought of the reasons why I haven't been playing some retro games. Playing Mortal Kombat II? The most retro Mortal Kombat game I'd be playing today is the reboot which gets recognized as Mortal Kombat 9 by the fans! Playing Street Fighter II series? Street Fighter IV series for the win! I feel the same with Tekken 2. Tekken 2 maybe that fan-favorite game but like Mortal Kombat II - I think it's just too overrated.

The Tekken entry that had me liking the series better was actually Tekken 5. Tekken 3 and Tekken Tag Tournament were good games - that was all before Tekken Tag Tournament 2. All those games had easier, smoother controls. Tekken 2 does have the issue of harder inputs like the first game. Those games were fun but Tekken 2? Well, I have to admit that like Mortal Kombat II - I do complain about the rather bitchy CPU and harder inputs. What do you expect from an old game, right? Sure, Tekken 2 added some cool features like giving unlockables their individual endings, more moves, and so on but it's just the beginning of an innovative concept. Eventually, what's new will eventually grow old. Some old concepts still work but old technologies usually die out.

I think about the so-called "solidity" of Tekken 2. Excuse me but Tekken 3 has had more solidity and better input action. I actually admit that Tekken 3 did start to get me into Tekken - all except that the idea of memorizing many moves boggles me. Tekken 2's inputs are too loose. Remember how Kazuya's spinning demon kick move was THAT HARD to utilize in the first two Tekken games? Not to mention the CPU tends to do a LOT of input reading which actually can make the game more frustrating than fun. Then again the arcade age was simple as this - you gotta win more quarters, right?

I may respect the game for giving a step up to the first. But again, for me, it's just overrated. I'm going to rather play Tekken Tag Tournament 2 or Tekken 5 over this game for retro-gaming ANYDAY!

Comments