Why I Think Megaman X7 Is Fairly Maligned


I did previously write why I think Megaman X6 is just unfairly maligned. Now, I think I'd write why I think Megaman X7 deserves all the flak it gets. I would admit that I do have a mix of popular and unpopular opinions. Why do I consider it to be really a very bad game? I decided to try and get some of the trophies for Megaman X Legacy Collection 2. Difficult can be fun - that's why I still think X6 is so unfairly maligned! Megaman 2 still has a lot of fans due to its challenge level. Megaman X7 can probably enter into the zone of "It's so difficult to the point it's more annoying than challenging!" It's safe to say I'd probably still pick Megaman 2 or Megaman X3 over this game.

We could always start with the gameplay. Seriously, what's wrong with it? It doesn't take a gaming expert to find out. If you've played a series of Megaman games before it then you might relate to the frustration. The game itself really worsens almost everything bad about previous games. Still, remember how Alia frequently interrupted you in Megaman X5? Well, here it's more than just that. You can dismiss Alia's calls but a lot of cutscenes are VERY SLOW. They capitalized on the glitch Megaman 2 had in the NES with Dr. Light's rather slow typing skills. You can think about how the lag goes VERY LONG especially before boss battles. Several cutscenes can't be skipped. The 3D gameplay is really that bad. I even want to joke that the heroes have buttery feet especially in dealing with Wind Crowfang's stage. Need I mention Axl's copy ability is more frustrating than fun? Good thing that Megaman X8 finally fixed it! Megaman Legends and Megaman Legends 2 allowed you to use a CAMERA AND MAP if you had a difficult time. Here? You can just FORGET IT and the game really will torture you to no end.

Megaman X6's Rescuable Reploids can be a pain in the ass because you can lose them forever. I reset the game a couple of times but I did save every now and then before entering a new stage. Learning to play less impulsively can get you to rescue all 16 Reploids per stage in Megaman X6. Here, Megaman X7 poorly implements the concept. These Reploids are very HARD to rescue. Flame Hyenard's stage is notorious for that! Many times, you had to be way quicker than you had to be in Quickman's stage in avoiding the laser cannons to avoid killing them. Worse, it was integrated into the plot that you can't play as X unless you rescued 64 reploids. What I did was somewhat stupid - I rescued as many as I could without defeating the bosses until I got 64 in total. What I also hate about X is that he's turned into a CRYBABY. Megaman X6 gave us rather interesting items from rescuing Reploids. Here? Well, I have to admit the rescuing is a pain in the ass. I was able to finally rescue all of them but my hands are aching in pain. Megaman X6 had a satisfying feeling in doing so because you powered yourself up in many ways. Megaman X7 just adds a few modifications and what, that's it?

Megaman X6 can be accused of bad stage designs and some of them require extreme reflexes. Well, just wait until you play Megaman X7 if you haven't. The 3D or 2D designs are all VERY HORRENDOUS to levels of stupidity. It doesn't help that the camera is really that bad. Camera work and stage design are horrendous. I think whoever made the cameras has to get FIRED. Did the designers bother to do some geometric and trigonometric calculations with the game? If the camera were used by the military then expect that person to get F-I-R-E-D. You can imagine it as a faulty GPS with all the angles and sides gone wrong. Worse, some of the bosses are more irritating than fun. Many of their boss weapons don't do very good either. I found almost no use for them except to win the trophies.

If anything, Megaman 7 a game older than this one is more playable. Megaman 7 may not be as strong as Megaman's NES games but at least it gave some interesting hunts. Playing Megaman 7 in the anniversary collection gave me a sense of satisfaction. I don't think I can say the same for Megaman X7. It can be forever maligned by the fanbase for all I care. This is one bandwagon I may be willing to jump in!

Comments