So Cary Hiroyuki-Tagawa Was Meant To Be Shang Tsung Way Back In MK9?


I could remember back in 2011 before we got ourselves a PS3 back in 2013 - I could remember the time I was still canvassing with games. I didn't want to get a game for the hype - I wanted the game because it's good and Mortal Kombat (2011 ) was winning a lot of good reviews from casual games to critics. One thing I noticed in the Story Mode is that not only is a huge portion dedicated to MK2 but also to the Mortal Kombat (1995) film which can be evident with the boat. A lot of designs were taken from the movie such as Kano looks a lot like the late Trevor Goddard (though said design was used in MK vs. DC Universe) or how Shang Tsung carried out his trademark phrase, "YOUR SOUL IS MINE!" Wait, where did we hear that phrase? Yes, it was from the MK film which Shang Tsung used it to steal the souls of individuals used to steal the soul of some non-canon characters. 

This would be an interesting old tweet by Ed Boon himself...


Way back in 2011 - Boon admitted that he actually met with Tagawa back then. He also mentions that he wanted Tagawa to voice Shang Tsung in 2011 but didn't work out. I was wondering if was Tagawa on a break during that time? Boon didn't reveal the circumstances that actually led to Tagawa refusing to voice the role but only decided to return in MK11 - a game in which he ended up becoming part of Aftermath which I still think is highway robbery. I felt it was a real waste not to get Tagawa in the best MK reboot game ever namely MK9.

Sure, Andrew Kishino did good and still makes Shang Tsung feel threatened. I still feel Kishino did a good version of "YOUR SOUL IS MINE!" But somehow, Tagawa does have the charm that makes Shang Tsung calm yet intimidating. Good thing though Kishino managed to fill the role when the plan to get Tagawa to voice Shang Tsung in MK9 didn't work out!

Comments