Why I Feel Akuma In "Tekken 7" Is Really PROBLEMATIC


Right now, I ask myself, "Did I waste money with my Tekken 7 purchase?" I felt I asked myself why I even bought the game. The game had potential but it was wasted. I felt Namco was about to redeem itself or outdo itself. However, it seems that Tekken 6 (a game I felt brought Mortal Kombat Armageddon another foot down the ground beyond six feet) and Tekken Tag Tournament 2 are tough acts to follow. Right now, I feel one of the biggest reasons why it sucks is the addition of AKUMA. At first, I found it cool but later, it just feels like it jumps the shark. Sure, Namco had some projects with Capcom become such as Namco x Capcom or Street Fighter x Tekken. However, this is the Tekken universe we're talking about so why is AKUMA SUDDENLY HERE? I feel Capcom and Namco have a lot to answer for even if there's no copyright infringement.

I feel everything here is just too sudden. Sure, Akuma has been depowered (to a certain extent) to make him a little more balanced. Yet, one can't deny that Akuma's the only character who's got super moves and the Shun Goku Satsu for starters. I think that alone can start to break the balance. One can argue that "Why not sidestep to avoid his fireballs?" or "His fireballs were made harder to hit with?" However, Tekken's mechanics has NEVER been known for projectile-based gameplay. Instead, like Virtua Fighter, Tekken was meant to be mostly based on realistic martial arts even with all the sci-fi and supernatural mumbo-jumbo. The Jack Robots are all sci-fi yet they usually use mostly realistic moves. Devil Jin has a hard time aiming his laser. Ogre may be a supernatural being but he uses mostly realistic moves unlike Kotal Kahn in Mortal Kombat X. Akuma just feels out of place in that regard.

I could talk about how Story Mode disappointed me. I was expecting something miles better than the story mode of Mortal Kombat X. Personally, it's known how I feel Mortal Kombat X's Story Mode has less content than Mortal Kombat (2011). Now, I could talk ALL OVER AGAIN about how Tekken 6's Scenario Campaign places Mortal Kombat Armageddon's Konquest Mode to shame (and I'm going to keep saying it Taven is better than Lars, Kazuya is better than Daegon) and the more flexible map gets things done better. So, I expected Tekken 7's Story Mode to integrate (and explain) Akuma's involvement. Instead, what TRULY made me disappointed was how not only do we have a REALLY BAD NARRATOR - Akuma just doesn't fit in. It's too sudden that the Hachijos, not the Mishimas, were the source of the Devil Gene. Now, why in the world is Kazumi asking Akuma to get rid of her husband and son should they be a threat to the world? I just feel the storyline was meant to justify Heihachi killing Kazumi. Again, I feel that Katsuhiro Harada is being a douche with how he does Tekken 7

I feel every time Akuma appears - it just gets cringy writing-wise. I feel the guy has been more fanservice than real content. I even feel that he's broken the balance in some way. A bonus chapter involves a fight with a powered-up Akuma just for the heck of it. What would totally be worse is how Akuma doesn't fit in the lore either. Did the writers of Tekken 7 really run out of ideas? Honestly, I feel Akuma's existence in this game is what it is - JUMPING THE SHARK. Akuma should be thrown back to where he belongs - the Street Fighter universe. Then again Akuma could've just been a guest character like the rest such as Geese and Noctis. But as story element? That's taking too much of a STRETCH! 

Comments